Correct use of sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, don't use the inductor. It won't do close to what you're after - you'd probably need ~10mH with <0.2ohm DCR, meaning the thing's gonna be huge, and expensive.

Active crossovers are the way to do it. Get a 2nd hand Behringer CX2310 or even a DCX if you wanted to expand later.
You gain headroom by using an active crossovers - the amp's not putting out signals the speaker can't use, and the speaker isn't having to dissipate the extra signal as heat. Win-win.

Chris

Looks like it'll do the job.

Might be worth having a couple of pots in there to adjust relative levels, depending on if your amplifier has easily accessible controls.

Chris

PS - will you have any provisions for cutting off the very-low bass from the ported subwoofer?

Last edited:
A high pass filter on the sub would help, without it the driver will probably run out of excursion long before it reaches its power rating. Frequency for the hi pass would depend on the sub woofer design and the order of the filter.
If the mid top rolls off at 100Hz it might be beneficial to increase the crossover frequency a little to ensure a smooth transition to the sub.
Hornresp, or even winISD, could simulate the effect of filters with your speaker cabinets to help determine crossover frequencies.
I have done this all the hard way in the past, as you are proposing above, by designing and building a active crossover. These days I use a digital LMS system that allows me to dial in whatever parameters I want.
1U of rack space can have all the filters. E.Q, limiting, & time delays for your system.
This would enable you to achieve a totally different performance level for your PA system.

I updated the original schematic in my previous post.

The full range drivers I am using start to drop off below 100Hz so that looks like a good figure to set the filter breakpoint to.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

Don't you want the FR looking to point to the same direction?

b:)

Attachments

• Nigel_Filter Corr.PNG
    Nigel_Filter Corr.PNG
    139.1 KB · Views: 41
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.