Vibration Damping or Acoustic Damping for Sealed Sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should one use any vibration and/or acoustic damping for a sealed sub?

I made a sealed sub box for a LMS 18" sub. 2" Front baffle, 1.5" all other sides. Internal volume is 4.1 ft^3. I'll be using a Cerwin Vega CV-5000 amp. Cherry Veneer on MDF. Sanded to 400 grit, ready for staining. Will use 3 coats of Sam Maloof Oil/Poly then 8 coats of Arm R Seal Oil/Poly as necessary.

Thanks

Attachments

• Studio_20150503_225043.jpg
    Studio_20150503_225043.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 180
Install the driver and see if there is any panel flex.
Crank it up and feel the box walls.
If they are not vibrating heavily, your box is probably fine the way it is.
The box that you built is much more beefy than most.

The only bracing that I can see you being able to install at this time is hardwood dowels.
You run them from one side of the box to the other side, but they have to fit perfectly to work.
I use 1" or 1-1/4" Oak dowels that I buy from Mc Master Carr.
Even those may not fit through the driver hole easily.
And it is best if you put a long screw right into each end of the dowel to help the glue.
That wouldn't bode well with your beautiful veneer job.

Also, keep in mind that it sometimes takes months to break in a driver, IE loosen up the suspension.
They sound better and better as you use them.
I noticed differences in a set of Infinity 1260's for a half year.

Dave

To test the box if you think it's not sturdy enough you can get your large clamps and clamp the sides and top/bottom of the box to see if there is any improvements when running sweeps or pushing the sub hard!
I have always done the inch dowel like Shadydave has mentioned in my previous sub boxes that have already been built or my manufactured speakers that could benefit from bracing. Either that method or run 1x1 inch lengths along the middle of the inside walls and glue them in place to minimise flex...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.