How to improve a Large Ported enclosure transient response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just yesterday finished my giant 12inch subwoofer project. The specs are as below:

Driver T.s parameter

Model: Jaudio 2100 12Y (12inch subwoofer driver - rare stuff from China)

Parameters were measured - I dont know how accurate yep
Qts: 0.512
Qms: 1.77
Qes: 0.720

Fs: 38.5 Hz
Vas: 42L
Power handling (Rms): 200W
Nominal Impedance: 8ohms

I here attach few photos and a graph of simulated response. Currently the sub is in a giant 75L box with a 4inch diameter PVC pipe with a length of 9inch tuned to 32Hz. This subwoofer is capable of very low frequencies tested from todays listening session. Bass is fairly thumping with no sign of over excursion stress. But as for the transient response i am not really satisfied. The bass sound a little bit delayed (somewhat) as it somewhat unable to keep up with the midbass from my mains ...

Any suggestions can be given to improve a ported enclosure transient response besides adding damping / bracing into the box? Currently inside the box has some foam damping lining on few sides of the enclosure (plan to add lining to the whole box but didnt order enough ... will do it once i receive the extra lining) ...

Attachments

• sub response actual.png
    sub response actual.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 531
  • 10922720_785293464859949_3082571916804611257_n.jpg
    10922720_785293464859949_3082571916804611257_n.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 540
  • complete 1.jpg
    complete 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 520
  • complete 2.jpg
    complete 2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 513
  • 8991_779390695450226_2514501530343834867_n.jpg
    8991_779390695450226_2514501530343834867_n.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 518
Amp used ? Crossover frequencies ? Crossover slope ? Main speaker ? Re, Le, BL, Sd ?

Low frequencies are slow. It's not "transient response" problem. Group delay, maybe, but even big group delay problem is not such a problem for ear if crossover is done right (the biggest deal). And going such low (<50hz) you have to deal with big acoustic room problems wich will cause big dips in frequencie response, whatever (or near...) you can do with you speaker box.
Richie by advising stuffing/tweaking port, suspect port noise.
Do you have a mic ?
Your ear cannot detect by themselves transient problem. What a sub by itself sound, is pretty awful, even the best of subwoofers. (not talking about woofer)
And transient problem, are in fact conjonction of phase (ie. delay) and/or eq problem. Often, sub problem are crossover problems. And crossover problem, are often due to crossing speaker in frequencies regions where they're not at all linear. And such 12" car speaker are really probably not linear at all, having big inductance, the "Le" thiele parameter, playing as a filter. So you problably cross your sub in a frequencie region where response is "sloppy". And ear don't like large dips in frequency response.

Try to find a not too bad mic. Do 4 measurement with Room Eq Wizard your box : at 1 meter of your sub, really near your 12" speaker cone, inside the vent, and your main speakers separate. Post the result here. So we should be able to work seriously.

currently using this amp for subwoofer duty ... TDA8950 configured in BTL ... it is a ready made kit purchased ... the crossover slopes i am not really sure because it was purchased ready made ... Will get a mic this thursday (i do own a mic but it was broken ... !!!) ... BTW where i can download the Room Eq Wizard software?

Attachments

• class d amp.jpg
    class d amp.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 89
hi i had similar problem but when active crossover was made it started sounding better. its completly wrong measurments and too large box.

some time was thinking of closing port and making decent speaker out of this , maybe you should try that also
Qts: 0.583
Qms: 4.98
Qes: 0.66
Fs: 28 Hz
Vas: unknown
Power handling (Rms): 110W
Nominal Impedance: 4ohms

white plots are closed box. while still false measurments i think it would improove

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_00012.jpg
    IMG_00012.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 86

GM

Joined 2003
Besides stuffing ... is there anyway electronically (equalizers, phase controllers, delay units, filters) can tackle this transient response issue?

Hmm, too small a cab tuned too high with too small/short a vent for the amp power, so it would need at least a 50 Hz hi-pass, ergo better overall to stuff the cab to lower vent mach/cab Qt, then use adjustable phase, delay to fine tune it as required if available.

GM

Just this evening added some pillow stuffing inside the box ... the bass response has improved a little bit ... still need to work on the filter circuits and maybe to build a subwoofer equalizer and phase controller ... however after adding the pillow stuffing some of the stuffing will tend to find its way out through the port ... so how do i need to secure the stuffings?

Attachments

• extra stuffing.jpg
    extra stuffing.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 107
  • inside out.jpg
    inside out.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 77
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 85
Hi dannyjmf,

In Post #1 you are showing the screen capture of a WinISD window, could you show the T/S parameter window that was used in WinISD?

Also, have you measured the impedance of the finished subwoofer, and do you get anything that looks like the two impedance peaks around fs that would be typical for a bass-reflex enclosure?

Regards,

The impedance i didnt really know the method how to measure it ... can u pls guide me how to do so ... and also here is the graph of the transfer function magnitude with the parameters of the driver ... the parameters i know they are not as accurate as it should be ... i tried the best i can to get the parameters by measuring ... parameters not provided when i bought the woofer ...

Attachments

• simulation with parametert.png
    simulation with parametert.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 244
Hi dannyjmf,

As GM pointed out in Post #16 the Sd is probably not correct. For a 12" driver of this type you are looking @ 470 to 500 cm^2 (or so). Try measuring from the middle of the surround side-to-side. Re looks high too. I would recommend that you measure the driver again.

Here is a good reference for measuring T/S parameters (including impedance):

Measuring Loudspeaker Driver Parameters

also:

The Subwoofer DIY Page

Regards,

with a QTS of 0.512, I would have expected a sealed box.

pretty much this.

in my experience, when trying to put a driver that "wants" a sealed box into ported enclosures tuned low or "low-ish" group delay becomes a major factor. If this works correctly, attached are quick plots i did with the specs you gave for the driver, green = a sealed box w/ Q of .707, purple = your design, pink = "maximally flat" ported enclosure. pretty clear what's going on with group delay
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.