Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

High SPL base section for Wakeboard boat
High SPL base section for Wakeboard boat
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2015, 02:26 AM   #11
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
Epic 12 is a terrible suggestion anyways.... he said he's happy with 50hz up (a wise decision when going for small and loud). Maybe tune as low as 40 considering your highest hipass is 30hz

2x faital pro 1030hp 12, ppsl, port firing through the slot plenum, tune around 45 hz ish. Xrk has a good thread going with some design info on these types of boxes
I think this is going in the right direction, though I suspect the shape restrictions may indicate that a simple slot-loaded vented box may have to be used instead.

Things to consider are not only the size and shape, but weather-proofing (after all, this is going in a boat). I might even consider a dual-12 slot-loaded sealed design using car audio drivers with poly cones and rubber surrounds. The Infinity drivers come to mind. The PDX amp is definitely 2-ohm capable, so any sub design should include a requirement to provide a 2 ohm load to the amp for best results. The "slot" should also be angled to ensure that water does not collect in it.
Old 18th March 2015, 02:34 AM   #12
cogitech is offline cogitech  Canada
diyAudio Member

I' m really not trying to start any kind of argument, and I am being as honest and straightforward as I can when I ask... Have you considered that not everyone on the lake wants to hear your music?
Old 18th March 2015, 02:49 AM   #13
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't even like boats (I get seasick) but I do know that up here on Lake Erie you can spend all day in between the public ports and beaches and rarely see anyone. When you do see someone, sound dies at 6db per doubling of distance and you never really get that close to anyone on a speed boat even if the area is crowded. Then consider that the motors on those things are REALLY loud so unless the sound system is pretty beefy the engine noise is going to drown most of it out. Residences are usually set back at least a mile from the waterfront except near the public port areas so it's not an issue for the homeowners near the lake either.

If it's a very small private lake with several waterfront residences and beaches populated by senior citizens that's a different story, the boat itself might not even be appropriate. But I don't see much problem on a bigger lake. And certainly not during daylight hours when everybody is making noise anyway.

Last edited by just a guy; 18th March 2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 18th March 2015, 02:56 AM   #14
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
I think this is going in the right direction, though I suspect the shape restrictions may indicate that a simple slot-loaded vented box may have to be used instead.

Things to consider are not only the size and shape, but weather-proofing (after all, this is going in a boat). I might even consider a dual-12 slot-loaded sealed design using car audio drivers with poly cones and rubber surrounds. The Infinity drivers come to mind. The PDX amp is definitely 2-ohm capable, so any sub design should include a requirement to provide a 2 ohm load to the amp for best results. The "slot" should also be angled to ensure that water does not collect in it.
I still think the nose is probably the best spot, it's usually a huge empty area, it's bone dry up there and the shape of the nose is a big waveguide that funnels the sound back into the seating area. The nose might even be big and long enough to provide some gain in the sub's passband too, and free acoustic gain is always nice. Unless it requires significant mods to the current structure to get it up there, I think there are too many potential benefits to ignore.
Old 18th March 2015, 02:57 AM   #15
shunra is offline shunra
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Those boxes are different are you saying pick one and go with it?
Also the width is 13" so you'll need a 12" woofer or to position it differently
somehow? Or is a larger woofer not possible?

You could do half of the 7 cu ft design that had four 12" drivers that I did for the
other boat thread. 3.5 cu ft fits into your design, I'd use two of the TC Sounds
Epic 12s for better power handling and more output per driver. The woofers will
be coasting along with your 1000W. If it is not loud enough add a second amp.
Aim the woofers up into the big slot and perhaps use part of the top slot as the
vent. It can be shoe horned into one of those boxes I think.
Yea pick one and go with it.

I think I could fit 2 12s or a single 15 if I dropped in in vertically.

Your idea sounds like basically a vented box that fires upwards into a big slot. Does the picture describe what you are thinking? If so any idea how to simulate that? Would that be kind of a quasi 6th order bandpass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quasi 6th order.JPG (48.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 18th March 2015, 03:06 AM   #16
shunra is offline shunra
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
Epic 12 is a terrible suggestion anyways.... he said he's happy with 50hz up (a wise decision when going for small and loud). Maybe tune as low as 40 considering your highest hipass is 30hz

2x faital pro 1030hp 12, ppsl, port firing through the slot plenum, tune around 45 hz ish. Xrk has a good thread going with some design info on these types of boxes
Can you explain what you mean by "firing through the slot plenum" I am having trouble finding Xrk's design.
Old 18th March 2015, 03:08 AM   #17
shunra is offline shunra
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
I personally would advise against a 50 hz tuning for the types of music he's interested in.
Can you expand on this a bit. I am only going from what I am reading so I don't really have anything to compare to. I don't know what a 50hz tuned box would actually sound like.
Old 18th March 2015, 03:12 AM   #18
shunra is offline shunra
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
What's up in the nose of the boat? What's under the floor? My brother has a boat similar to this. Not quite as fancy but same style size and shape. When he wanted a sub I put it up in the nose, facing forward. Keeps the driver dry up there. If he wanted a bigger sub I'd sink it under the floor. There's a massive amount of wasted space down there.

If there's an issue with cutting the boat this might not work, but those are a couple of options to get around the size and driver protection issues.
The bow is open seating. Under the floor is mostly used up for ballast. There is a chance I could do something up there but it would require significant cutting. I would rather see what I could do with the other space first.
Old 18th March 2015, 03:17 AM   #19
shunra is offline shunra
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
I might even consider a dual-12 slot-loaded sealed design
Can you help me understand exactly what this means? I am not sure what "slot loaded sealed" means.
Old 18th March 2015, 03:21 AM   #20
shunra is offline shunra
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
I' m really not trying to start any kind of argument, and I am being as honest and straightforward as I can when I ask... Have you considered that not everyone on the lake wants to hear your music?
Thank you, Yes I have considered this and do so every day I am on the water.

High SPL base section for Wakeboard boatHide this!Advertise here!