Noobie looking for help !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks,

I joined up a recently in the hope some one could help me with an issue iv got with a pair of JBL subs and/or possible system faults as some of it is 30years old ! the actual problem is that the subs themselves have got quite vocal and are not giving a deep sound like they use to. Here is a couple pics please disregard the tweeter,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As previously mentioned the subs are nearly 20 years old and i can remember making the enclosure as per the instructions that came with the subs, i can also recall making to the box and port dimensions to give a 40hz response, dose this sound correct ? I then needed a crossover and was advised to by what i think is some sort coil the i soldered inline on the positive side, iv attached a pic of it as its got a heat shrink around it.

I would be very grateful if some could point me in the right drection as im struggling to even ask the right questions in order to get the passive or active cross over ( i don't mind which ) in order to get a deep sounding base again.

Finally my system comprises of :
1 Pioneer VSX 1122 AV amp
A pair of Technics class AA amps @ 100 watts rms into 4 ohms , these are connected via a 20 meter RCA from the Pioneer , one drives a pair of full range speakers. The signal is then split And the second drivers the subs .

Please be gentle with me folks. Thanks in advance for any help

Fruit

Thank you for your reply,

My sub output on my av amp is being used as part of my 5.1 set up in the living room. I have a 20 meter RCA cable connected to the zone 2 part of the av amp that runs through to the garage. I think it's the crossovers that are the problem. I could with finding out how to test the crossover I have or, sort some more out but I'm not sure what to get. Any further help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Fruit

Greets!

According to this, the box should be 1.30 ft^3 net tuned to 30 Hz, a bit smaller than one would normally use for non mobile audio apps, so as you can see it only has a really prominent bass line if in a closed vehicle: http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands...Documents/en-US/BoxesandParameters/GT1000.pdf

Regardless, are you saying that this system hookup worked with deep bass and now it doesn't or...........?

WRT the crossover, what is it and its specs or at least all the info printed on it?

GM

Greets!

According to this, the box should be 1.30 ft^3 net tuned to 30 Hz, a bit smaller than one would normally use for non mobile audio apps, so as you can see it only has a really prominent bass line if in a closed vehicle: http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands...Documents/en-US/BoxesandParameters/GT1000.pdf

Regardless, are you saying that this system hookup worked with deep bass and now it doesn't or...........?

WRT the crossover, what is it and its specs or at least all the info printed on it?

GM

Hello,

Thanks for digging the specs up, I have notice the specs are saying a 3" port . For some reason I used a 4" one. That said I have always been happy with the bass they produced up and till recently when they have become quite vocal. I think tbh conanski sounds right to me, whilst I think there is also an issue with amp as both subs sound to vocal. The crossovers are rubbish and I just want to go through my system and check what I can. Anyway thanks again GM

Adder

If this is the extent of your crossover then that is your problem, to get sub bass only from these drivers you need one of these between the amplifiers..
Rane AC22 Rackmount Active Crossover | eBay

Hello,

Cheers for the reply, is it possible to get hold of one of these crossovers with RCA connections or will I have to some sort adaptor lead made ie, RCA to Jack plug ?

Many thanks

Fruit

Hi All,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• JBL-GT1000.JPG
    JBL-GT1000.JPG
    741.7 KB · Views: 57
Hello Bjorne,

Thanks for taking the time to post, I have the honest when I say Im not at sure what it means. I think I'm going to take conanski's advice and get hold of an active crossover and then my hope is that I can adjust the frequency to suit.

Many thanks

Fruit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.