Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RCF L18S800 cloth surround not doped after repair?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2015, 10:26 AM   #21
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you must use them, then I think your proposal to use them as high as possible is sensible.

I would test them thoroughly in the 70+Hz range before going into a commitment such as a gig - as once you start that, you cant stop!!!

I think afa has a point worth thinking over, the OEM kits I have used either came as pretty much drop in, or as with the Beyma kit all the materials and some pretty straight forward instructions.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:28 AM   #22
athlon64 is offline athlon64  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I didn't understand what exactly did he mean. Dampening edge?
From what i have seen it's dry. It's just pure cloth with nothing on it. When you put your finger on the thing you can feel it has got nothing on.

I will test them as kickers first yes.

EDIT: New reply from RCF. The guy inderstood me wrong. He taught i was talking about the spider and told me that the priginall rcf cloth surround looks different then what he sees in the video. And that's true yes. This one seems to look a bit different.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:29 AM   #23
afa is offline afa  Australia
diyAudio Member

And you can buy them all from Speaker Parts and Repairs Brisbane :: Queensland Speaker Repairs who gets them from all the manufacturers (in China and America)
Old 29th January 2015, 10:34 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

to see if your surrounds are pre treated try blowing through them ... ie pucker up, kiss the surround then blow...easy to do.. not treated.., hard to do.. treated..,
Old 29th January 2015, 10:36 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
to see if your surrounds are pre treated try blowing through them ... ie pucker up, kiss the surround then blow...easy to do.. not treated.., hard to do.. treated..,
Yes i will do that toninght when i get to the club just to check.
But take a look at the video again. Take a listen. Hear how the repaired one is more ringy because it has more movement? Event when you are looking at it. It moves more then the reconed one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJx...gf2wqiSXCv_4Fw
Old 29th January 2015, 10:38 AM   #26
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

yep - this is the best, and simplest, test
Old 29th January 2015, 10:46 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

one is a treated half roll and the other looks like a 3 pleated accordion edge, both can provide the same result (almost) if treated with the same coating..
Old 29th January 2015, 11:05 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
one is a treated half roll and the other looks like a 3 pleated accordion edge, both can provide the same result (almost) if treated with the same coating..
That's right. One is a half roll and the other one is shape like the spider looks. It feels nice and sturdy. I think it will be working well after i coat it. I will check tonight to make sure it wasn't coated from the factory and then i'll order the coating material. But damn i'd like to find one that dries black.
Old 29th January 2015, 11:16 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

you can probably use a water based black acrylic paint as a sealer, it is probably the same composition as the real thing (not school type paint but exterior paint )
Old 29th January 2015, 11:18 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yeah but i'd still like to play safe with the glue that is made for these things. How about spray painting the suspension black and then clearcoating it?

RCF L18S800 cloth surround not doped after repair?Hide this!Advertise here!