Cerwin Vega 15ATW Cone Snaps to Magnet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Cerwin Vega 15 ATW speaker and before re-foaming it, I find that the cone SNAPS to the bottom. The other one does not, and the re-foaming went very good.

I can lift it up, but when I let it go, it Snaps completely to the bottom, as if the magnet is pulling it hard. The other one did not do this and stayed centered.

Any suggestions before I buy a re-coning Kit.

Thanks

the spider is part of the suspension. it, along with the surround, keep the coil centered in the magnetic gap. think of it like a spring that supports the weight of the moving mass. the stiffness of the surround and spider, as well as the moving mass of the driver are the specs that impact "FS".

a lighter cone, or stiffer suspension will raise fs, and the inverse is also true.

If your spider is "worn out" it may not be stiff enough to support the moving mass, especially when the other part of the driver suspension is removed.

this still doesnt explain why it "snaps down" however.

Picture

Attachments

• SpkATW.jpg
    SpkATW.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 91
I did the other speaker, I refoamed it. It the other speaker came out just fine, but it did not act at all like this one. It is like there is a ferrous piece of metal is attached to the cone. I do not see any damage to the speaker.

There are three screw on the back of the magnet, would removing them possible shed some light on the voice coil and such?

Considering that I paid less than 100 dollars for the pair, due to the extremely poor condition of the woofer foaming, I got a deal. IF I need to purchase a new one, I am ahead of the curve. But I learned a lot refoaming the one I did. This is what I hope to end up with.

Attachments

• AT-15.jpg
    AT-15.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
There are three screw on the back of the magnet, would removing them possible shed some light on the voice coil and such?
I'd urge caution before attempting this. I don't know your drivers specifically, but typically the screws through the back of the motor are what holds the parts of the magnet assembly together and keeps them aligned: the top plate, ring magnet, & back plate with centre pole piece - hence maintaining the very narrow and precise gap for the voice coil. (Often these pieces are secured with glue instead of or in addition to mechanical fasteners.) If you separate these parts, you are working against very powerful magnetic force, and re-assembling them over an installed voice coil with proper alignment is pretty near impossible. (At least I couldn't manage it the one time I tried it! :eek:)
That said, I believe there are some pro-style drivers (Peavey, ...?) that are designed so the magnet assembly can be unbolted intact and swapped over to a replacement cone/basket assembly. If yours is like that I'd say open it up and have a look. Just be sure you know what those screws hold together before you loosen them!
Good luck,
Wilf

I started to remove the magnet assembly and did not have big enough screwdriver and then thought better of it. Your post, stop me in my tracks. Thanks

I am going to send it to the repair shop and let them deal with it. They indicated it would run about 125 with shipping. Is that a fair price? Anybody with any other suggestions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.