Slot port help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building a little EBS sub which all told will end up a net box interior of a little over 1.6 cubic feet. Tuning to 25Hz and using the smallest quiet port diameter of 3 inches ends up almost 19 inches long. Hummmm?

I guess I could pretend I was a submarine pipe fitter and twist it in somehow but what about the slot port approach? This would use side of the box as part of a rectangular port something, like a transmission line.

I can't remember where but it seems I read something about the vent calculation for a slot port being different than for a round tube. This makes sense considering having a vent tube too close to a side wall apparently effects the tuning frequency and I would be using the box wall itself as one side of the vent.

Anyone have information on this?

Many thanks.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Javaman said:

I guess I could pretend I was a submarine pipe fitter and twist it in somehow
Many thanks.

Just thought that I would throw in the fact that elbow fittings are available, either in building supply stores or over the internet, for PVC pipe. That is another way to deal with a too-long port.

Anyway, good luck with your slotted port project.

By the way, what driver are you using that requires only 1.6 cu. ft but requires tuning down to 25 Hz?

kelticwizard

The driver is the Titanic MKII 10 inch - the PE EBS alignment looks interesting with a slow simmed rolloff like a sealed box, but an anechoic F3 round 28Hz. Thought this should yield a really nice in-room response for my mostly music application - maybe a little boost @ 20-23z to take it low?

Actually I was considering this or the 12 inch driver version in a 2 foot sealed box with a more aggressive boost.

Any thoughts of the relative merits of these two approaches?

Dustin

Thought about PRs but the cost and the difficultly of tuning it just right for music turned me off from the idea.

thanks
peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.