Dual Othorn / Dual modified F215AN Build Log Summary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you are referring to room modes. and you will find that you will run into the same issues with the othorns, as soon as you put them in a room (this is the nature of bass sound reproduction).

The othorns *might* have a little bit of directionality, which will help cut down *a little* on the room nodes, but it will likely be unnoticeable.

the only reason to drop the xover point to the CD on a dual 15 cab is because 15s have garbage dispersion above 800 hz (read up on "beaming"). with your current setup, you'll have quite the valley from 800 to 1300 off axis (and a majority of your crowd will always be off axis).

I notice in alot of the clubs that have big reflex bin setups, it sounds louder like near a wall, or in the bathroom than it does right on the dancefloor? (this is referred to as "dispersion", correct?):eek:
No, it's referred to as "room modes" and "power alley" and position of the subs relative to themselves and boundaries.
There is some difference in the upper dispersion above 60 Hz between TH and BR, but for the most part with only one TH per side the differences in level you hear are due to the room and placement.

The reason Bennett told you to lower the crossover point was to match the dispersion of the HF horn to the 15" (and run the 15" in it's cleaner "piston band"), speakers narrow in dispersion at higher frequencies.

Looks like Sine posted the same response 3 minus faster than me :^).

Last edited:
I see. Is there any way to address this 800-1300 valley on the driverack or is that generally just the nature of this particular setup. Sounds like probably not ...but shes sound pretty good as is. I will report back tomorrow with the results of the changes mentioned so far. Ive gotta change out some of the little screws that attach the neutrik connectors to the dish panels. I found the ideal one for my patch bay but goofed and didnt buy enough to redo all the cabs. Weeee...home depot...

the best way to address it is to follow bennets advice and lower the xover point to the CD, and pack a couple spares :p. This is the nature of the beast when dealing with 15"s in mid top boxes.

There is no way to address it in the driverack, as boosting this band will just result in peaky response in the same passband when listeners are on axis (no good either).

t
There is no way to address it in the driverack, as boosting this band will just result in peaky response in the same passband when listeners are on axis (no good either).
Response can be equalized on axis, but without looking at polars of the woofer and coax highs, who knows which has the more peaky off axis response at 800 Hz?

I can't find the cabinet plan for a "F215AN", so have no idea what the cabinet Fb or F3 is, so couldn't comment on a crossover between it and the Othhorn, other than the Othhorn phase and frequency response goes a bit wonky above 120 Hz, not much of a problem up to 100 Hz unless the subs are run louder in the xover region than the 15".

He f215AN is on the B&C suggested design plans tab on their website. Welp here we go, im hopping in the van to set up amd try the new settings out. Home depot was less painless because I knew exactly what to get. Thanks for all yalls help it means a lot to me. This site is basically my classroom....

He f215AN is on the B&C suggested design plans tab on their website.
I see the following "F" plans:
F152A
F152AN
F2152A
F2152AN
but no f215AN.

Attachments

• B&C Plans.png
    B&C Plans.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 219
They are so enjoyable to listen to! This was the third round of low frequency tones we played with. The first round we had people pouring out of the building in disbelief. People started pulling over on the access/feeder road to see if there was a concert or somthing. Those smiles are so invaluable!

I will be building a DNA 360 CD with QSC 152i WG, 10" PHL 3451 mid and a pair of 18 Sound 15" W750 woofers per cabinet. I will most likely just build a WTMW layout.

I had four 15 W750's that I was trying to sell for cheap but no one was interested. So I figured if I have them for a while then I will just build a big PA speaker for fun with parts I have collected. SO thats my new PA main.

I will be building a DNA 360 CD with QSC 152i WG, 10" PHL 3451 mid and a pair of 18 Sound 15" W750 woofers per cabinet. I will most likely just build a WTMW layout.

I had four 15 W750's that I was trying to sell for cheap but no one was interested. So I figured if I have them for a while then I will just build a big PA speaker for fun with parts I have collected. SO thats my new PA main.

This is going to sound ridiculously good. What crossover frequencies are you estimating? Will it be active?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.