DIY design to equal an HRS120? I.e. -3db @ 19hz 21"x18"x21", sealed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1)Guys, are there any diy subs that can perform at a level of the Mackie HRS120 in a package of similar size?
2)-3db @ 19hz in a 21" x 18" x 21" sealed enclosure is pretty impressive, no?
Jim,
1) Possibly, but the package (even discounting your build time) including a solid enclosure would probably cost a lot more by the time you factor in amp, processing, passive radiator, and a 4" voice coil 12" with around 20 mm Xmax, 94 pounds of sub.
2) Yes, it is. I purchased one used several years ago when I realized there was a lot of LF my Tannoy PBM 6.5 studio monitors were not reproducing. None of the other "studio monitor" subs auditioned at a large sound and lighting shop were even remotely close to the HRS120 output, much less extension. I have built dozens of sub designs using many different speakers (including the Lab 12) but none have the VLF output per size and cost ratio of the HRS120. It sounds good too :).

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.