Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HT towers with 8" horns
HT towers with 8" horns
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2014, 02:29 AM   #1
chrisregalado is offline chrisregalado  United States
diyAudio Member

Default HT towers with 8" horns

I am new to this forum and am curious if this is even reasonble. What I am looking for is really clean punch around 40-45hz. The speakers can play flat to 100hz(3way est. 93db) not including the bass woofer and the cabinets can be pretty big(let's say up to 14"w x 72"h x 24"d). I would really like to use a rear loaded horn design if possible. My question is what type of horn would work best? And if a horn is the best way to go? I like the appearance of the scoop but sound quality is the most important.

Here is the woofer I was looking at using but am open to suggestions. Whatever will work best with around 100w-180w @ 8ohms
Peerless 830869 8" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer

Thanks! and if this is dumb please take it easy
Old 12th June 2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi. Not, dumb. You are very close...
For a 8" TH (dual) and/or for designing (101) or with Hornresp software, look at the links.
8" Peerless HDS-P830869
TH28 | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
Dual 8" tapped horn = TH-SPUD
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3861213
note: for a horn type, if you don't know how to use the software you need someone to do it for you.
Old 12th June 2014, 04:21 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Welcome!

Hmm, don’t know about ‘dumb’, to me this is someone who keeps asking the same or similar question[s].

For future reference, please provide any links to drivers/whatever to save us time……..

Just ‘running the numbers’ through a compression horn design routine, its published T/S specs dictate a very wide band-width [BW], ergo very long, slowly expanding horn, so ‘slicing’ a section out to meet the BW, space restrictions doesn’t make for a technically good back loaded [mid] woofer horn.

Really, considering you want < two octaves of BW, a simple floor loaded pipe horn makes more sense to me or possibly one of its tapped variants.

GM

HT towers with 8&quot; hornsHide this!Advertise here!