Tapped horn 18 inch driver choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Diy Audio.

Me first post on this site, so forgive me "noobiness"

I got a tapped horn equipped with a driver that is not good for tapped horn. Low BL, low Mms, high vas and highish qts and qms.

So im looking to replace that driver with a more apropiate and potent one.

The amp driving it is a Void Infinite 8V2 in 8 ohm bridge, so i got some power:)

The two drivers im looking at is PD1852 and 18NWL9601, and of those two im leaning towards the PD1852.

Wich one of theese two would you think is best (overall) in a tapped horn?

Im also open to your suggestions/recomandations regarding driver choice.

Thanx in advance.

Brg. Steffan.

PS. Sorry for the missspelling, English is not my first language.

Sorry i dont...but its this one:

CAD AUDIO - CAD 118FLH datasheet

The hornlength is 2,5 meter, and i "think" its orriginally designed arround/to a B&C 18TBX100, but i dont know for sure.

However, i got the version with the 800 watt driver, and after examining its T/S data i think its more or less a driver for bassrefleks. Thats why im looking to replace, to a more powerfull and "tapped horn chriteria like driver"

T/S on the 800 watt driver here: Fs 32...Vas 250...mms 205...bl 23...xmax 9mm...qms 4,7...qes 4,2...qts 0,38...rms 8,77 kg/s.

Brg. Steffan.

in a box tuned that high, I doubt you will see significant improvements by adding any of the above drivers, as you will not be able to utilize the additional xmax before you hit their thermal limit.

which 800 watt driver (I'm assuming B&C) is in your boxes currently?

If you have access to the 18sound NWL9601 or the BC 18sw115, and are willing to build anything, the keystone TH by Art welter will go almost an octave lower than the boxes you are currently using, and its a pretty easy build.

Link to the 800 watt driver (though the link...from the link...dont work any more, thats why i wrote the T/S data in the tekst above (got them be4 the link stopped working))

CAD ENHEDER prisliste 12-2010

I dont plan to build anything. It was my plan to "upgrade" my excisting tapped horn with another, and better suited driver, so i could play louder...but if i, as you say,dont gain much from that, then ill have to reconcider the entire upgrade ofc.

Also i must mention, its for portable aplications (pa, disco and such), so it has to be so compact as possible.

Regarding the "high tuning" ...

when i play music (from metal to hip hop) it sounds just fine. Dont think it needs to be able to play that low (below 40 Hz) for most music material.

Also i "cut" it from 35 Hz and Down, 24 dB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.