Dual subs, small volume, big space, high WAF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I have my cake, icing and eat it all, please?

Finished my arrays and for a (very) short time, considered adding 2 arrays of small 3" subs... then the prospect of cutting all those holes sank in again!

I have a pretty big room to fill. I like tight, punchy bass I can feel, something that a single 12" sub can't do at the moment. It gives some hints towards what is there on the soundtrack or music sheet, but it can't cope with the sheer size of the room by itself.

So, music is not too bad, but HT is a bit weak there.

I have limitations, of course. Cabinet size would be about 30cm wide, 100cm tall and 35cm deep (that's about 12" x 39" x 14").

That leaves me with 8" or 10" drivers as I would need them front firing.

Reading about isobaric subs at the moment, and I like the idea since it would keep things smaller.

Or, I could go with dual front firing woofers too.

I'm running in circles trying to come up with something, but nothing sticks. If someone has an idea you came across before, I'm opened to suggestions!

Attachments

• subs.jpg
    subs.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,015
Room is 10m x 5m, and has a 3m high ceiling. (33' x 16', 10' ceiling).

I have a Yamaha 12" sub at the moment. I made another 12" DIY sub, but it is too bulky for the configuration of the living room now. It's in the "projects" museum now....

Can't seem to find JBLs around here. Any newer ones available are from personal imports. I would need to import from the US, it seems. Unless I find a suitable replacement.

Scouting everything available at the moment... found the ScanSpeak 22W/8851, but at $400 each... that'd be quite expensive for 8 drivers!

The Scanspeak 22W/4534 is more reasonable at $80 each, but VAS is much higher than the JBL mentioned.

It's quite hard because this picture shows what kind of info is available most of the times!

Attachments

• 11081207031172_440.jpg
    11081207031172_440.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 958
An MCM 55-2421 requires just over 0.5 cu ft for a 40 Hz tune. That box size will just about enclose 3 cubic feet. That means you can use around 6 woofers. Push pull if you can, and space them out to reduce any standing waves from the 1m dimension, or you may wish to compartmentalise the inside.
You can tune lower if you wish with less woofers.
Corner load the thing if you can and it should take 700 watts and produce plenty of output!
I'm not familiar with drivers in your area. Seems like the USA has all the fun....

Went over MCM, they have a lot of drivers that looks like they were made here. I like that little woofer. looks like fun.

Unfortunately, that 55-2421 is nowhere to be found here. I asked some distributors, waiting on their answer. Shipping drivers overseas is quite expensive. I tried. Basically, a $50 driver costs $50 to ship. Then add customs... One of the little problems from living way over here in Asia!

You would use 3 drivers x2 in a push-pull config? Isobaric?

Scouting everything available at the moment... found the ScanSpeak 22W/8851, but at $400 each... that'd be quite expensive for 8 drivers! Shipping drivers overseas is quite expensive.

Basically, a $50 driver costs $50 to ship. Then add customs... One of the little problems from living way over here in Asia!

It's quite hard because this picture shows what kind of info is available most of the times!

Yikes! Oh well...........

Bummer! Good luck with it! All things considered, it seems hard to believe that your area of the world would be so poorly documented.

GM

Only a very few know about T/S params and such...

The only questions I see on forums and places to buy drivers here are:
- What's the size?
- How much power?

Anyway, scouting some more, I found a couple of drivers with available but limited info.

First:
A 8" paper cone, Fs around 24Hz, rated for 180w.

Attachments

• 21405205598584_497.jpg
    21405205598584_497.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 457
  • 21405205598584_79-1.jpg
    21405205598584_79-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
And this one, which looks a lot like the carbon cone available on the MCM website.

Fs around 35Hz, rated also for 180w.

I asked the seller about Xmax, he mentioned 10mm for both models but I wouldn't trust it too much.

Attachments

• 21312268854484_44.jpg
    21312268854484_44.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 446
  • 21312268854484_728.jpg
    21312268854484_728.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 364
You would use 3 drivers x2 in a push-pull config? Isobaric?
No not isobaric, seems like a waste of cone area and amp power.
If you don't like the look of the backs of drivers facing out, you can build a little indented 'cave' inside the box with the drivers facing each other. (Or 3 little 'caves')
You may end up with the box being slightly bigger than you want. If that's the cas you can just use 4 woofers as hornresp predicted 137dB to 38hz at 1m in a corner with 6 at xmax of 8mm and 27V per woofer (a bit high probably for any continuous signal as it may burn out the coils).
You need about 1000 watt amp for this level.
This is enough for balanced music at twice the percieved loudness of a really noisy club! from taking predicted and actual readings of my own subwoofer. I find 125dB is enough to start producing the 'ears have pressurised' sensation, so imagine kick hits you can feel from across the room!
I will comment more when I am not on my phone which is RUBBISH for writing! I can post the parameters I used as well in case anyone disagrees with them. I couldn't find Sd so I used 214 sq cm for the similarly sized JBL GTO804.

Thanks for the support all!

bjorno, you found my driver in Taiwan! good job! Yep, it is around us$30.

I have WinISD, but so far, I mainly look at the curves it can produce with a given volume and vent, but I do not know how to play with multiple drivers.

Also, Hornresp is new to me. I don't know how it works. But thanks for all the leg work!

Horn, even tapped horn, won't save you space. Or you can live with column type cabints?

You said you like tight, punchy bass that a single 12" sub can't do, but in the meantime 2x 12" would be "too bulky". That's an obvious dilemma.

As I visualize a 12" sub, it's mostly a cube with slightly more than 30cm, maybe 35-40cm per side, that is not very large TBH.

Do you have any specific size for the allowable footprint ?

He he! No worries! Thanks for the options!

Hmm.. the one on the left looks a bit taller than I may be able to get away with.

And, would you have any info on the designs?
I was thinking I may follow the principles of my newly built arrays and put 4 front firing woofers wired in 2-2. I don't know how it would compare to your posted designs....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.