MOAK: The Mother of All Karlsonators (aka The Magnificent Monster)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
imo two tone will be very pretty - here's the little sub with just the dark stain (no oil yet -- - thejessman is an awesome builder !)'

don't know if I even want any stain on the front. This would look sharp on Karlson, Karlsonator, and Klam-projectors

Grsk1az.jpg

five to seven mini-karlsonator or mini-klam in the same color scheme could make an interesting little home theater system - I've heard of one guy's HT system which used 8" klam

I've got this pair plus a pair cloned from rough dimensions so potentially got a start - have to load one with Betsy-K, put damping material in rear chamber and listen - IIRC rear chamber fill cleared up some resonances.

8" "Rocket" Patio speaker sold by Alan Weiss
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think - no stain - just a clear coat on the front panel will/might (?) look best.
You can also use a beige or very pale oak (yellow) stain on the front, or a varnish with a light tint, to lessen the contrast between the front and side, as the white can appear a little harsh depending on the light. Makes the overall appearance more mellow. Try it on a test piece and see how you like it, because once it's on there, it is tough to remove. Doable, but tedious.

I think DeonC has some good ideas here for a semi-open-karlson-assisted-baffle ("SOKAB") - at least for some drivers. fwiw I probably would try a more squat aspect and mount the driver near the wide aperture end - perhaps have an inverted aperture on the rear and shallow coupler depth. Pink foam board could be used for POC. Weaker motor fullrange with good sensitivity might be preferred. If multi-way then I'd use the slot on all drivers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.