OTH40C 15" loaded Compact TH Flat to 40hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright guys. finally got to work on this project (although my drivers still havnt shown up yets...) BIg thanks to Ricci and JWMBRO for the inspiration on the fold style, JUST A GUY for checking my noob fold skills with akabak.

Final dimensions, 25.7x25.7x20

The driver that will be used in this build is the Faital pro 15 hp1030. The BC 15tbw100, 15sw100, and Dayton pa 385 (kind of) are also good fits. I'm sure there is an 18sound driver that will work but they are too hard to source (affordably) here in the US.

Attached a couple relevant pictures

Attachments

• faital pro mini othorn design sketchup.jpg
    faital pro mini othorn design sketchup.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 2,243
  • side view mini othorn 3d extrusion.png
    side view mini othorn 3d extrusion.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 2,160
  • 10010755_238085053062106_8459582431759697140_o.jpg
    10010755_238085053062106_8459582431759697140_o.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 2,160
  • miniot faital.PNG
    miniot faital.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,094
Last edited:
I honestly didnt lay out cutsheet for this one because i had to cut my 5x5 sheets down at the lumer yard with a handheld circular saw. The 19.25 internal width does play nicely with 5x5 sheets, but the 25.7 x 25.7 sides are not all that efficient (take basically a half sheet for sides alone, with a 9 x 25.7 piece of scrap, and a 5 x 60 piece of scrap ). I also messed up a couple cuts whilst cncing the sides.... yeah... so I'm hoping to get 2 of these out of 3 sheets of BB 5x5 (including all the bracing pictured.

Last edited:
haha, even I would be jealous of my router skills if it wasnt cncd...

i should have just burnt a piece of bb and made a router template while I was at the shop though... thoughts for next time

Damnit parts express where are my drivers..... 3 to 8 business days my ***.

Last edited:
Hey young man, remember back a few months ago I challenged you to design a tapped horn of your own? Congratulations, you did it! And HaHa, I still haven't got mine done yet, so I hereby admit defeat.

It looks very nice - you did a very respectable job here. Beautiful 3d rendering and that CNC thing is amazing. Are you willing to share your HR files, or the actual dimensions?

Thanks Sine143, I will keep on my eye on this forum thread and watch your progress. I would be particularly interested in you could show the how and why of your testing procedure. I have a lot of experience in testing tops, but not subs, and the whole ground plane subwoofer testing thing I have never done before. Can you help an old man out?

Don't relax too much though, I have two ideas we are going to start building prototypes of in the next week or two. You have beat me to the punch, but the battle is not over. Stand Back - it's going to get LOUD!!!!!

I await your thread.

ground plane testing. get as far away from boundaries as possible, lay down a piece of plywood/mdf etc. put the mic on the ground 2 meters away. If you have a calibrater you should calibrate your mic (I dont). Run room eq wizard or smaart sweeps. done. I'll just be sweeping for response shape, wont be able to tell if its as sensitive at its simmed at.

I know my NLW9300's probably are but I am going to use those in my new L/R HT fronts. I have some W750's also which I dont think work because they like a huge cabinet. I'll see what the other models are but I think I will be selling my four W750's anyways. Then I will be getting a few more drivers.(18 9601 or 2400 and another 15)

Unfortunately the 9300 doesnt look that hot. VERY similar to the Dayton (in fact, the dayton has a little bit better excursion control) AND the 9300 has a MUCH lighter cone (aka more distortion at high output).

Attachments

• OTH40cdaytV18soundVfaital.jpg
    OTH40cdaytV18soundVfaital.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 1,092
Last edited:
Yah I have those plans also. I have built a few different horn builds that didnt pan out. SO I am still thinking of doing the TH18 by Xoc1. If I feel I dont need below 37hz I should be fine. BUT I am really liking the Othorn with the 18 9601.

I am sure I would be happy with a BFM design but I am always curious of other heavy weights that are out there. PLUS I always want way more than I need. :D

Anyways I dont want to take anything away from your thread here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.