commercial sub advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And now.......one is having a really noticeable issue.

Its only putting out a fraction of the output it was before. I set it as high as FULL gain and it approx equals only 1/3 gain on the other. Can barely get the driver moving. I never changed any thing, I just powered system up and viola, problems :confused:

check if driver related

I changed them around, same result. It has no headroom. Someone mentioned to me to check the variable resister, does this make sense? Because it still adjusts volume, only there is less of it.

These amps have what the call the "max headroom circuit". I wonder if it has something to do with?

I contacted m&k and they responded with this

"Hello.

The older sub K- 9 has been out of production for long time - and no parts or service records is available for this model.

We do not hold service for these older made products.

M&K sound."

Does that mean they would forward service records if it was still under warranty? Or say your welcome to come in and buy a new sub, even though you may only need a 20 dollar part. It would cost them nothing to save them and help a customer out. The driver is still under warranty, it lasts for 10 years, 5 years on the amp. Not keeping records with 2 or 3 years remaining doesn't make any sense

Last edited:
The driver is still under warranty, it lasts for 10 years, 5 years on the amp. Not keeping records with 2 or 3 years remaining doesn't make any sense
From what I understand, after you moved the driver to the second enclosure you found the problem is remaining in that same driver.

If they are under warranty and they don't have the parts - discontinued - they can (could) give/offer you :xfingers: a new sub (or the price less a percentage for it's use, what we call a substantive discount in a new product).

Discontinued means that () after the warranty is void they don't accept any more repairs.

Let's say that a product has an extended warranty for it's life time (in service/repairs or other), then if you can't get a new part/driver (or is not a NOS) it's not serviceable, but they can offer you full integral service repair for free only that they can not make a replacement (driver). In this case the driver is out of production. Their expertise can only go to where they know/can (what is possible and practical) like having a substitute part or not. In this case the driver is more complex as you say with some kind of motional feedback design (that I'm not used to)?!

Service/repair -> free (warranty)
New driver (or similar) -> NO (warranty)
Result -> ??? What do you think ?! (Please tell me what you should do as a client, from your point of view, and as manufacturer/distributer)

"From what I understand, after you moved the driver to the second enclosure you found the problem is remaining in that same driver."

Yes thats correct. Leads me to believe there is some problem in the amplifier section. I hooked them up through the line inputs and it seems ok, which to me is strange.

On warranty, the amp service is past due. I believe theres 3 years left on the driver. Seller confirmed he bought them new 7 years ago. I'm wondering if I sent the unit in as a whole, maybe they will test it but not crack it open to investigate and give me a new sub?

Though I might prefer having the same exact sub, because I want to run them in stereo and have exact matches. Since I got a really great deal for these two, even considering one needs repair. I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred bucks to have a shop sort it out. Or invest in a heathkit and power them with a separate two channel amplifier I already have.

I like these better than my big svs, for music there is no doubt to me the MK is superior even while using one. Lower spl, but notches above in sound. On the other hand the svs is quite awesome for movies, that will be its permanent duty now.

Question about hook up in stereo. I had them split L/R to left sub and L/R to the right.

For stereo hookup I simply just connect L+L to left side sub and R+R to my right, is this correct?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.