Dayton Ultimax vs. Stereo Integrity HT vs. TC Sounds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree with 5th Element in every way shape and form. He knows his stuff. i would agree that ported get much more efficient at producing higher db then any sealed system. I choose sealed because I really don't care how much SPL i get from this thing I just want it to sound Great and do the job I want it to do. I don't care if I design a box that blows your hair everywhere. I just want a nice round sound to my already amazing RBH speakers for an awesome movie experience every time. Sealed 15" Dayton was my choice. I might add another in the future but for now it will do just fine. especially in my smaller HT room

I agree you will be happy with either the 15" or 18" Ultimax.

I have 2 UM15-22's in ~4 cu.ft. sealed enclosures, driven by an iNuke 3000DSP. I don't have measurements to back it up yet, but my ears tell me they're awesome.

I listen to music as much as movies, so they work great for me. Sometimes I wish I had more lower end for movies, and have thought about adding more subs, but it may just be the DIY addiction getting the best of me...

How does the inuke do? Does it kick the crap outta the drivers if you want it to or do the speakers starve for more juice?

Wrong Sealed subs don't go as low as Ported Subs. the Dayton Ultimax 15" has an F3 at 35hz sealed and an F3 ported at 22hz. Do you know anything about subwoofers?

Or you can go check out one of the best manufacturers of subwoofers SVS subs and their little description for you.

do research before you just post

Here is the UM15 in an 8 cubic foot box ported to 22 and sealed in 3 cubic feet. At 10hz, do you happen to see the sealed system modeling 10db more at 10hz at max SPL? In fact under 16hz, the sealed system has greater output than the ported version even if you ran the ported without a high pass filter. The ported system will be excursion limited under 22hz making the sealed the better option for deep subsonic movie soundtracks. So the deepest the ported can play is the tuning freq and the sealed can go flat to 10hz with EQ. People use sealed subs in multiples to have far deeper bass in smaller boxes. Anyway, the sealed system is playing deeper and also has a higher max SPL from 16hz down.

sealedvportedUM15_zps059d6ca1.jpg

You could really oversize the ported box and tune it really low (15 or 16hz) but it will be huge and will also introduce big group delay. Many feel its not an issue.

My system outperforms any commercially available sub: 4 TC 15's 8000 watts in 340lb boxes so SVS isn't a good sub to me. They're toys.

TH_zpsc681c67c.jpg

I'm sorry you felt the need to slam me so bad. I was only trying to help. Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
I agree with 5th Element in every way shape and form. He knows his stuff. i would agree that ported get much more efficient at producing higher db then any sealed system. I choose sealed because I really don't care how much SPL i get from this thing I just want it to sound Great and do the job I want it to do. I don't care if I design a box that blows your hair everywhere. I just want a nice round sound to my already amazing RBH speakers for an awesome movie experience every time. Sealed 15" Dayton was my choice. I might add another in the future but for now it will do just fine. especially in my smaller HT room

Correct. Above 22hz, ported is louder. Below 16hz sealed is actually hitting higher SPL than ported.

That makes me feel good about my sealed build. Im excited and I would love to here your Tc sounds im sure they are rocking! Didnt mean to slam anyone. Your right it depends where you tune them. Seeing how humans cant hear past 20hz I have no idea why anyone would need anything that goes lower than 20. Its all just hype and talk. Ohhh my sub can go down to ten my subs can go to 5 my sub goes to 1. Yeahhhhh but who cares because you cant hear it.

That makes me feel good about my sealed build. Im excited and I would love to here your Tc sounds im sure they are rocking! Didnt mean to slam anyone. Your right it depends where you tune them. Seeing how humans cant hear past 20hz I have no idea why anyone would need anything that goes lower than 20. Its all just hype and talk. Ohhh my sub can go down to ten my subs can go to 5 my sub goes to 1. Yeahhhhh but who cares because you cant hear it.

You can hear under 20hz. Just like speakers, your ear simply becomes less efficient at frequency extremes. You can hear 20hz but can't hear 19hz? 19hz would have to be a slightly higher SPL to counter your ear's roll-off. If you're playing 12hz at 120db, you will hear it just fine. Just as 40hz sounds like midbass compared to 20hz, dropping yet another octave from 20hz to 10hz has that same effect. Just because you cant imagine what you haven't experienced, doesn't invalidate why movie sound tracks put that in the signal and why so many people insist on their systems reproducing it after they factually experience it. It's not all hype and talk. It's fact and you're commenting on things you haven't experienced using quick judgments to justify why it's not important to you. Experience the violent reactions to infrasonic frequencies and you would then have a good idea why.

I use the TC LMSR 12's in my Hummer and there is a ridiculous output down to 10hz with cabin gain. In home theater set-ups its an odd pressurization that occurs from subsonic frequencies. Nothing describes the pressure you feel on your entire body at those crazy frequencies. I have had ported boxes for the TC in my truck and would never go back if for no other reason than how easy it is to get better sound with sealed subs. If you oversize sealed boxes to get a transient-perfect .577 Q, you will know Heaven. Ported boxes just don't sound that way to me no matter what I tune them to and the ringing they have at the tuning freq makes it sound like one note bass to me. I'll spare you the other subjective descriptions. Personally, I think you used a great sub in a great box. In the future, all it will take to learn all these things for yourself is to build a ported box for that exact same sub and see if you can live with the trade off. For all I know, you may love the ported sound. Many do.

Last edited:
Yeah your right you can't technically hear it but you feel it down low. I know what your saying and I love the feeling too. Nothing better then a sub that shakes your core. I don't want my sub to just stop at 20hz no way. The lower the better. I'll let you know how my sub sound the way I built it. I doubt I would even want to attempt ported with this driver. I really want to try an infinite baffle system in a home theater environment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.