Hornresp adds significant LF response to all designs when using "multiple speakers"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hornresp adds significant LF response to all designs when using "multiple speakers"

Hey guys, so I was just wondering, why does hornresp extend lf response of all cabinet designs (even Vented designs etc) when you use the multiple speaker option?

when going from say 1 to 8 cabinets (with a vented for example) I notice obvious drop (in frequency) of the excursion minima, group delay peak, and impedance chart peaks. (see attached pic)

It looks to me that stacking multiple boxes is causeing the vent tuning to drop (about 4 hz in the example), but its ALSO decreasing LF excursion requirements at the same voltage. cn someone please explain this to me :confused:

Attachments

• multisubventedexample.jpg
    multisubventedexample.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 108
Hey guys, so I was just wondering, why does hornresp extend lf response of all cabinet designs (even Vented designs etc) when you use the multiple speaker option?

cn someone please explain this to me :confused:
No, can't explain why it is wrong (by a little bit), but you can see the discussion started at post 1771 with attempts:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-179.html

Multiple closely coupled loudspeakers do exhibit a drop in Fs, though not enough to account for the difference you have noted, as Fb would not change.

thanks for the link art. ever since getting hornresp I've been trudging through that thread.

It likely has something to do with the way i've modeled it I think.

I've used method 2 (alternate method) in soho54s hornresp for dummies

Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone ;) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Let me try the first method and see if it shows the same results.

EDIT

Nope the "correct" method for modelling vented enclosures yeilds a similar result. i'll stick with the alternate method as this allows me to make complicated vent shapes.

Last edited:
do note however that you will likely get to the point where you want to model a stack of more than 9 speakers. for this you will have to double the voltage and include at least 1 series pair.
The FR results are the same in either case.

Obviously in the real world you need to consider speaker impedance, but why bother when you are simulating with a perfect voltage source ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.