Horn With Extension To Under 30Hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone! I am looking for some plans for a horn type subwoofer. I'd like it to have extension down to about 25 - 30 Hz. I plan on building two. I was thinking maybe each horn would have two LAB 12's or something? I'd like to keep the cost under $1000 for the pair. Thanks!

Ya, the labhorn seems do drop off above 30 Hz. Those lilmike cabinets have some pretty impressive performance. Are there any designs out there that utilize two drivers per cabinet and in exchange have a slightly smaller total volume? 30 cubic feet per horn is pretty massive.

most boxes that use multiple drivers will in fact be.... twice as large, as the box will require twice the s2 area, and generally twice the mouth area.

loud, low, small. pick 2

you obviously want low.

do you want a front loaded horn, or a tapped horn? tapped horns have the benefit of slightly smaller size with similar frequency extension, plus a generally flatter curve when used as singles or doubles. Once you start using 4 or more subs (or if you are going to be corner loading), a Front loaded horn starts to show its true efficiency potential.

perhaps you should outline your situation a bit more clearly, and thus we can recommend a true solution for you. Is this for home? live audio? what are you doing with these enclosures?

btw, lilmike also has the microwrecker. again, it goes quite low, can be loaded with an inexpensive driver (alpine type s 15), and will get decently loud with enough power, esp if you have 2 cabs.

These will be used for indoor and outdoor PA duty with both live music and DJ type stuff. Both situations will be with music that is pretty bass heavy and really needs the low extension. Size isn't too big of an issue but obviously smaller is always better. I was planning on going the tapped horn route as it seems like a very interesting concept. Regardless of how many cabinets I ended up building I was thinking of using four drivers. So either four cabinets with one driver each or two cabinets with two drivers each.

I think you will find that chasing the *lower than 30hz* dragon for PA duty will land you with quite large boxes filled with expensive drivers.

Few questions.

why 4 drivers? what led you to this conclusion?

do you mind posting a link or 2 to tracks that in your opinion *require* lower than 30 hz response. I'm particularly interested in "live music" that needs lower than 30hz response

You could build t60, it does a solid 25 hz and doesnt sacrifice output too badly. the 20" wide version loaded with a single lab 12 a piece (for a total of 4 boxes) would make a pretty nice system.

you could also build the lil mike microwrecker. It has a sensitivity around 97 db and is flat between 25 and 80hz (with typical tapped horn scariness above 80hz). it will have a bit more output below 40hz than the t60, when comparing 1 v 1, but I expect a 4 stack of t60 will narrow the gap, and still handily defeat it above 40 hz (without tapped horn scariness above 80hz)

For maximum output. I'd suggest Josh Ricci's Othorn. it only goes to 29hz flat, but I suspect that is more extension than you need honestly. downside... insteat of 4 170 dollar lab 12.... you get to purchase 700 dollar bc 21sw152s.

I swear I've seen him post on here, but he seems most active over on avs forum and HTS.

the plans for the microwrecker are actually not *officially* out there, as lilmike said he was still doing some work on the design. that being said, there are many people who already have herds of them.

I suppose it doesn't have to be four drivers, that just seemed like the number that would fit my volume and extension needs. Lab 12's would probably be the way to go. I would like to get as much output as possible while keeping it under $1000. With regards to actually needing output into the high 20's.. I'm in a sort of electronic rock band that really relies on a solid sub bass platform to build our sound on.

ah... i guess your keyboard player is really fond of the G0 key then:eek:

my recommendation stands. 4x t60, single lab 12 loaded, 15 to 20 inches wide based one what you are willing to lug (wider cab has more output, particularly down low). OR 4x lilmike microwreckers, alpine 15 type s loaded.

the microwreckers will take a bit more power, and be heavier due to the 3/4 build material, but end result will likely be similar (the microwreckers may display more distortion, as TH do not filter distortion like FLHs do).

only if physical build time is an issue, or if you have a necessity for series wired cabs... which when only using 4 drivers should not be an issue.

4 single loaded cabs at 15 inches wide will have identical response to 2 dual loaded cabs.
4 single loaded cabs at 20" wide will have better response than 2 dual loaded cabs

112.gif

about that much, when looking at response of a single cab.

in a stack of 4, maybe as much as 2 db between 27 and 40hz. not a WHOLE lot, but it is there.

I swear I've seen him post on here, but he seems most active over on avs forum and HTS.

the plans for the microwrecker are actually not *officially* out there, as lilmike said he was still doing some work on the design. that being said, there are many people who already have herds of them.

yeah, littlemike here, lilmike at AVS

I'm still around, just not posting as often. I do a lot more reading than posting here to be honest. I'm still following several threads. Of course, I've not had nearly enough time to play with speakers of late, so not that much to talk about.

My MicroWrecker plans are definitely still a beta, I have a few ideas I want to try on the next refold.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.