JBL GTO1514 displacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody know the displacement of this driver?
The spec sheet just gives an overall box volume which includes driver displacement.

I calc'd 4.7 litres, but am new at this and would love to know if someone has the actual spec. It is for a sealed enclosure with Linkwitz circuit

cheers
A

Hi Andrew,
Some drivers specsheets have the displacement, others don't.
In this case if you consider 4L you will be fine, as a standard (15 inch - 4.0 liters). Look at the parameters of displacement for similar drivers,
Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Also WinISD (free software) has a last page menu for that calculation, when you insert the driver measurements into the application.
If you want, give a look at on-line calc. (Speaker Driver Displacement Calculator) here.
JBL GTO 1514 specs

If it is for a car system you can use the recommended enclosure, if for home use 150-160L, 150L = ~5.3ft³. You probably want to use the least volume size cabinet you can do with EQ, what (net) are you planning for your project?! :eek:

For use with Linkwitz Transform, just make sure you get decent amounts of cone excursion at high powers.

Tiny sealed boxes will try to resist cone movement, but drivers rely on cone movement to stay cool. So yes, optimal would be the cabinet size when Xmax and Pmax are hit simultaneously.
If you hit 350w input and the cone's barely moving, your cabinet is way too small.
If you hit 35w input and the driver's bottoming out, you can sacrifice some efficiency by using a smaller cabinet, and up the power input to compensate.

Chris

Thanks for the advice.
The enclosure I have built measures 61.3 litres, so approx 20 litres bigger than the datasheet's recommended sealed enclosure.

I have tested it without the Linkwitz circuit, just using a 200W Marshall bass head. So far so good, appears to be effectively sealed and the cone moves but not excessively. The signal drops out rapidly from 40Hz.
Which is what I expected from the plot of the uncompensated speaker (blue line) in the Linkwitz spreadsheet. Hopefully by this time tomorrow it will get down to 17Hz. (I'm new at this, is it worth going lower.......or is that a stupid question on a subwoofer forum ? :))

The intended amp for this sub produces 350W into 8 ohm.
Not for my car, this is for use with analogue modular synths.

Attachments

• lt.JPG
    lt.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 149
17Hz is usefully low, just be careful about turning it up too loud - you'll shove an awful lot of power in there if you hit the very low notes.

Most bass heads will drop <40Hz very quickly, to prevent infrasonics of, say, the bassist's fingers resting on the strings getting to the speakers.
You could try going into the fx loop return, as that'll bypass the pre-amp, where such processing usually takes place.

HTH
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.