Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HiVi D8.8 in a TL
HiVi D8.8 in a TL
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2013, 01:37 PM   #1
kffern is offline kffern  Australia
diyAudio Member

HiVi D8.8 in a TL
Default HiVi D8.8 in a TL

I finally finished a TL version after trying a sealed and a vented version. The vented version was OK but the TL blows the others away. I use it with electrostatics (ER Audio III) and designed it to be able to fit into the base of the frame if required. I am using a Reckhorn sub amp with minor boost to the sub with the mains run full range. I plan to build another for stereo with another Reckhorn but would appreciate any criticism or advice to improve on it. Measurement was very basic with a stereophile test CD and a SPL meter.

I used the TL spreadsheet as below
HiVi D8.8 in a TL

The line is folded twice and vents at the rear top. Picture below is the view from the bottom prior to stuffing - around 250gm dacron.

HiVi D8.8 in a TL
Old 4th January 2014, 03:34 PM   #2
siruis815 is offline siruis815  United States
diyAudio Member

Any more info on this?
Old 25th January 2014, 06:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

HiVi D8.8 in a TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by siruis815 View Post
Any more info on this?
Strange someone should ask now.
I'm just finishing the second of the pair in an identical TL box.
Should be finished sometime tomorrow.
I haven't sealed up either but I'm quite please with the first with around 250gm polyfill. They are still bare wood and haven't decided on the finish.

Next up will be to get a minidsp and microphone and a better setup.

No idea how they compare with other drivers but I got these quite cheap as they were delivered to the dealer by mistake and he gave me a good deal. For me they fill in around 100Hz and below and in the listening position they merge in very well. My room is large and oddly shaped so any sub will have a tough time. When I got these (around 2008) there wasn't a lot of decent cheap drivers available over here without having to ship from the US.

kffern
Old 25th January 2014, 12:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update!

I've had a pair of D8.8+ (cousin of the d8.8) for a long time now (around 2008/2009) and still haven't put them in a proper enclosure. They were originally intended for a 3-way setup, but just haven't gotten around to ever building them. I was originally looking at doing ~1.2cuft vented at roughly 30Hz.

Do you have any drawings of the design?

Looking forward to measurements.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

HiVi D8.8 in a TL
Hi Sirius,
Apologies for taking so long.
My drawings is pretty messed up and wet so will redraw later.
Basically, I have a 63.5" line folded thrice (21.16" I think). The internal dimensions at the start are 10" x 8" and the end 0.8" x 10".
The first fold is 5.6x10, second 3.2 x 10" from memory.
The back tapers with the vent at the top. All internal corners are lined to approximate a curve.

18mm Ply for the outside and 16mm MDF for the baffles. 6mm ply for the curves. The first box used 18mm ply for this but it was too much work and 6mm MDF easier to cut the angles right or just sand flat.
About 250gm polyfill stuffing in the first and second folds. Center of woofer 28cm from the base. Sorry for the mix of units but I'm an old oilfield worker and used to a mix of units.

I had a friend over for a listen and he was pretty impressed. I'm not going to rush into any fancy measurements as I might only be disappointed. Listening to Chicago VII and enjoying it with the family away for a few days.
Kffern
Old 27th January 2014, 01:31 PM   #6
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
[QUOTE=kffern;3794622..I'm not going to rush into any fancy measurements as I might only be disappointed...Kffern[/QUOTE]

Hi,

In case your given numbers are correct, I don't think you will be disappointed....

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiVi_D8.8.JPG (490.9 KB, 394 views)
Old 27th January 2014, 03:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

No worries Thanks for the reply!
Old 27th January 2014, 05:33 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
I don't think you will be disappointed....
Yeah, it seems like they go out of their way to make their drivers TL 'friendly'.

GM
Old 28th January 2014, 03:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

HiVi D8.8 in a TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Hi,

In case your given numbers are correct, I don't think you will be disappointed....

b
Glad to know that I have got it right.
Would have been nice to know earlier though

Sirius, let me know if you need a more detailed picture.
Kffern
Old 29th January 2014, 01:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the details Kffern!

Be sure to post a picture when they're all done!

Ben K.

HiVi D8.8 in a TLHide this!Advertise here!