HiVi D8.8 in a TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally finished a TL version after trying a sealed and a vented version. The vented version was OK but the TL blows the others away. I use it with electrostatics (ER Audio III) and designed it to be able to fit into the base of the frame if required. I am using a Reckhorn sub amp with minor boost to the sub with the mains run full range. I plan to build another for stereo with another Reckhorn but would appreciate any criticism or advice to improve on it. Measurement was very basic with a stereophile test CD and a SPL meter.

I used the TL spreadsheet as below
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The line is folded twice and vents at the rear top. Picture below is the view from the bottom prior to stuffing - around 250gm dacron.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any more info on this?

Strange someone should ask now.
I'm just finishing the second of the pair in an identical TL box.
Should be finished sometime tomorrow.
I haven't sealed up either but I'm quite please with the first with around 250gm polyfill. They are still bare wood and haven't decided on the finish.

Next up will be to get a minidsp and microphone and a better setup.

No idea how they compare with other drivers but I got these quite cheap as they were delivered to the dealer by mistake and he gave me a good deal. For me they fill in around 100Hz and below and in the listening position they merge in very well. My room is large and oddly shaped so any sub will have a tough time. When I got these (around 2008) there wasn't a lot of decent cheap drivers available over here without having to ship from the US.

kffern

Thanks for the update!

I've had a pair of D8.8+ (cousin of the d8.8) for a long time now (around 2008/2009) and still haven't put them in a proper enclosure. They were originally intended for a 3-way setup, but just haven't gotten around to ever building them. I was originally looking at doing ~1.2cuft vented at roughly 30Hz.

Do you have any drawings of the design?

Looking forward to measurements.

Hi Sirius,
Apologies for taking so long.
My drawings is pretty messed up and wet so will redraw later.
Basically, I have a 63.5" line folded thrice (21.16" I think). The internal dimensions at the start are 10" x 8" and the end 0.8" x 10".
The first fold is 5.6x10, second 3.2 x 10" from memory.
The back tapers with the vent at the top. All internal corners are lined to approximate a curve.

18mm Ply for the outside and 16mm MDF for the baffles. 6mm ply for the curves. The first box used 18mm ply for this but it was too much work and 6mm MDF easier to cut the angles right or just sand flat.
About 250gm polyfill stuffing in the first and second folds. Center of woofer 28cm from the base. Sorry for the mix of units but I'm an old oilfield worker and used to a mix of units.

I had a friend over for a listen and he was pretty impressed. I'm not going to rush into any fancy measurements as I might only be disappointed. Listening to Chicago VII and enjoying it with the family away for a few days.
Kffern

kffern;3794622..I'm not going to rush into any fancy measurements as I might only be disappointed...Kffern[/QUOTE said:
Hi,

In case your given numbers are correct, I don't think you will be disappointed....

b:)

Attachments

• HiVi_D8.8.JPG
    HiVi_D8.8.JPG
    490.9 KB · Views: 507
sirius,

Here is my first measurement taken at 25cm from the woofer. 1/3rd octave smoothing for all.
Settings pretty much as I had using a decibel meter and stereophile CD. slight boost at 30hz. crossover at 300hz

with my main electrostatics below, some work needed but sounds good to me.
I've just come back from listening to ML Summits. I think mine are qyuite a bit better especially in the bass response. I have also bought a minidsp 2x4 which I plan to try on the subs alone first.

Hi Silver..,
I am currently using a 2x8 kit making it the equivalent of the 4x10. having problems with the digital in but works fine with analog.

I now have a Kingsound Kings electrostatic biamped with the third channel driving either the TL or a couple of 15" (unknown origin) OB mounted in place of 2 of the bass panels. I think I prefer the TL but its a matter of taste and what you get used to. The 15" doesnt go as low but a bit tighter which I think looses a bit of definition. The minidsp is good, I would recommend the new 2x4 96kHz if you only need 2 way. With the ER audio ESLIII I used to run the stats full range and use the minidsp for the subs only. The Reckhorn is crXXp.
The minidsp is much better than using the stock crossovers but I have heard good things of the behringer DCX2496 apart from reliability. The 2x8 with the Vol-FP gives you 4 configurations to choose from. A bass light version is handy when the wife is around.
Regards,
kffern

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.