Replacement driver for Sunfire 8"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello
A friend of mine has a sunfire 8" bass cabinet that the speaker has been cooked. This has happened before and the replacement he received from the distributor was a different speaker that blew up almost immediately. due to a lapse of time before he got around to installing the driver he is unable to send it back. I have tested the amp and it still working well. at the moment i am looking for an 8" that will handle somewhere around the 1000w and like being in a 1 foot cubed sealed box. I am almost thinking about looking at some of the car type speakers due to massive power small sealed box type scenario.

does anyopne out there have any reccomendations??
TIA :)

I don't know of any 8" sub that can actually handle 1000watts or one with enough excursion to do so.

But maybe this one may work well as a replacement,

MCM Audio Select 8'' High Excursion Woofer - 120W RMS 4ohm | 55-2421 (552421) | MCM Audio Select

I referred these to a Friend to put two of them in a 2cuft. box and he is quite happy with them.

He built two cabinets each with there own 300 watt plate amp.

He says that the may be able to handle more power (I haven't seen them in person yet) but they are way more than enough for his needs.

jer :)

Attachments

• subs.jpg
    subs.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
You really need to dig up the specs on that driver or find a functioning one and get the driver measured. I'd be more concerned about Xmax, Fs and Qts than power-handling.

If you're burning out the driver from overpowering it then you need more displacement. So get another one (or three) to pair up with it or move on to a 12" or 15" driver.

Those carver/sunfire sub's have some BIZARRE power ratings. there claims of thousands of watts is just bogus! it's another of carvers marketing hype buzzword deals. I wish I could find the description of it again but something about the back EMF of the driver get's regenerated and power factor correction...bs. I measured power output of a 10" model that was supposed to be like 2500 watts and I got 200 into 8 ohms at 1% distortion...

The driver used in those has a massive magnet and is very over damped. good luck finding one!

Attachments

• Sunfire_Junior_Cx.jpg
    Sunfire_Junior_Cx.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 414
Aren't those a passive radiator setup ? The pictures I dig up online of the SunFire 8" show a PR on the other side.

The SA-8 v.2 works very well in a small PR enclosure if that is the case. Maybe check them out.

If the box is sealed then the JL 8W7 is probably the best sealed 8" on the block if cost is no object.

Those carver/sunfire sub's have some BIZARRE power ratings. there claims of thousands of watts is just bogus! it's another of carvers marketing hype buzzword deals. I wish I could find the description of it again but something about the back EMF of the driver get's regenerated and power factor correction...bs. I measured power output of a 10" model that was supposed to be like 2500 watts and I got 200 into 8 ohms at 1% distortion...

The driver used in those has a massive magnet and is very over damped. good luck finding one!

I remember reading their white paper and being a little dubious of all that power scaling...

Maybe the amp will do that sort of power into a short circuit, once?

Rod Elliott has a great article about PMPO and all that stuff.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.