Sub for home system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm in the process of converting my home system from a fairly standard set of bookshelf speakers (that I like the sound of) to a tri-amped setup and I need a sub for that to work..

The ported bookshelf speakers I've got peak at 105Hz with a resonant peak from the port at 40Hz. I'm thinking of filling in the port and setting the crossover at around 100Hz (I'll test them again and see how this affects the response).

I'd like to use 2 x 12" or 10" drivers mounted on opposite faces of the enclosure (after being inspired by Laurence Dickies work). I'd rather not have to EQ the subs so I thought about having a ported enclosure tuned to 30Hz or so. A volume of 50-100l would be OK as I'd like to be able to move the subs if I need to.

Or are there any horns with that sort of volume that could do what I want?

Amp wise I'd like to use a 2x 150W RMS Tripath based amp that I built but I have also got a 4x 600W RMS amp (1200W bridged) amp knocking around - ideally I'd save that for powering the mid of my PA and get some more efficient drivers for the subs..

Thanks!

I would go with a sealed sub, since that gives better transient response, and a slower roll-off which matches the natural room gain at low frequencies. Sealed is much more forgiving of errors in T-S parameters, or parameters which vary with environmental conditions.

I was thinking of using a ported system because I listen to music with a lot of bass and I was keen to be able to get the subs to produce below 30Hz without using too much power.

I need the speakers to be 4 ohms to get the most from my amps. What drivers would you recommend for a sealed enclosure?

I've got an Ultradrive from my PA so I can build the speaker and then play with the EQs to see what I'll need for the permanent installation. I'm using two of Rod Elliott's 24dB Linkwitz-Riley crossovers so I can always add an additional op-amp based EQ to the subs if I have to.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.