My favorite four

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are my favorite four do it yourself Subs:

Big JBell, sometimes called the Stadium Tapped Horn.
Low (f3 = 35Hz) & Loud, but 150# and 24 cubic feet

Bjorno, not really a TH (no taper), but it does OK.
Low (f3 = 37Hz) & only 75#, but down 3 dB from the others

Small JBell, very light from using 12mm plywood
Only 50# and quite loud, but F3 only 48Hz.

Xoc1, built by scaleing up the Small JBell to the size of
Danley's TH115, it was later found to be a VERY close
copy ot Danley's Sub.

Attachments

• Compare.gif
    Compare.gif
    118.4 KB · Views: 277
Half Century of TH and counting

And who could forget Volvotreter

This thread could go on and on with no end in sight. Let me end it with just two
more names.

Tom Danley, without him there's no tapped horn

David McBean, without him there's no HornResp

I certainly appreciate Tom and David's contributions and elucidations, but the "tapped horn" concept has been around a long time, though they have been called different names depending on the decade.
As you can see, J Bell's big tapped horn is functionally identical to R.G. Pruden's patented design from 51 years ago.
My Keystone design also shares the same ancestry, but uses less folds to achieve similar path length.

It is fun to compare "modern" designs to the originals ;^).

Art

Attachments

• 51 years of TH.png
    51 years of TH.png
    561.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
So the first 4 are for 15" drivers, and Don's (enclosure needs a nickname) uses a 12"?

I've got a pair of JBL 15's. And I've got some decent 12's...hmmm.

I don't understand the BJORNO. It's not TL. It's not horn. It's like two organ pipes, with the tap injected in-phase, but it must have really narrow bandwidth and high q unless you spread it a bit by tuning the tap a bit 'wrong'...

Why wouldn't you just angle that board in the middle to add taper, and add some initial throat acoustical low-pass filter near the driver, to start the horn taper at? I don't think it would end up much bigger.

Why is the Bjorno not tapered?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/179653-elements-tapped-horn.html

Compare the fourth and sixth figures. When the cabinet is not tapered, the f3 is very low and the
spl is not as high ... when it is tapered the f3 is not so low and the spl is much higher.

It's a choice ... do we want a low f3, or do we want the spl to be louder.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.