HT Sub Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, long story short, I've been out of the HT/AV scene for a while, and I was saddened to find that the Maelstrom 21" and 18" drivers are no longer made.

I stumbled into an amp, and it's inspired me to add another sub to compliment my current Maelstrom 21" - Driven by a Behringer EP2500 for my home theater.

p338761397-4.jpg

The amp I have is an Ashly KLR-3200 which appears to be rated at 1100wpc @ 4ohm, or 3200w bridged at 4ohm.

http://www.ashly.com/products/table-links/Ashly KLR Amp Data Sheet.pdf

I'm decently skilled with wood, so I can build pretty much any cabinet I feel like. I am on a bit of a budget though. I have $400 I can spend on this. I could stretch that budget, but that would put the project off for another couple months.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, is there any way I can get a pair of 18" drivers for around $400 that would keep up with the Maelstrom 21"? Or should I just get one, fine $400 driver? I'm not sure what's good these days, and I just don't have time and money to play around with different drivers to find out. ;)

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the DA will not keep up, even 2 will be insufficient. I know because I am in a similar pickle but with the 18" model. Takes nearly 2 of DA's to match output of the one Mal-X. Mach 5 Audio has a 21" model that should be a fairly decent match.

I feel your pain. Exodus died when they received a bad batch of drivers and the Chinese OEM refused to accept responsibility.

Why does it need to "keep up"? It seems like you're going to be using two different processed signals...

Build a cabinet for the DA, play around with placement and processing EQ etc and I'm sure you'll be pleased. I'd rather have distributed bass (if space allows) as opposed to one subwoofer. You have more than enough power (even if those aren't true RMS numbers at 20hz with low distortion).

Here is my sealed build with the Dayton, but bjorno offered some other options in this thread....
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/221660-new-ht-subwoofer-dayton-ref-18-a.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.