$325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn ~ 35Hz extension

Max SPL 1 cabinet, 500 watt input (46.3V into 4.29 ohms)
pal12updatedspl500watts.jpg

2 Series 2 Parallel Speakers, 4.29ohm amplifier load, 2000watts (92.6V):
pal12updatedspl2s2p2000.jpg

Hi Y'all,

Just a quick question, would the LAB12 be rugged enough to handle 3:1 compression ratio?
3/1 should not be a problem for the Lab 12, it worked fine in the Keystone at about 2.5 to one, and the LabHorn and 12Pi are around 2.62/1. The only mechanical cone problems I have heard of in Labhorns have been traced to leaking compression chambers.

I don't know what mSgR means by "motor choking", the Lab 12 certainly has plenty of power compression from voice coil heating, but Bl is Bl, it has a strong motor that pushes hard up till past Xmax until the voice coil is hot.

Thermal, rather than mechanical limitations are the Lab 12s weak link.

Got started on the build!
I got a lot less done than I expected today (my only afternoon off this week) because I cleaned the workshop, but at least I have more room in there now!

Most of the pieces have the final cuts completed, just a few boards need the angle cuts.

Here is what I accomplished today:
imageqzb.jpg

Yup! 5x5. 1/2" is dirt cheap, like $33 per 5x5 I believe.
I am going to build some compact 2x15" midbasses to accompany this pair of PAL12 horns, and ill be using the 1/2". So ill let you know a final price on that in a few weeks.

Ill Inquire about shipping costs, if you buy in bulk it might offset the shippi h cost and be worth it for you to order from them!