DIY Bass bins?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I am looking for a place to maybe buy a subkit for 15 or 18" drivers with plans for easy DIY bass bins. I have build 2 home theater subs last year, and now our band is going to be performing, and maybe DIY bass bins would be the way to go to save $$$. I really enjoyed building pre-designed kits, where I get the plans and driver, then build the cabinet at home.
We will only be playing medium to medium small places (local bars, etc).
Looking for simplicity.
Appreciate any ideas, or links, etc.
Thanks!

I don't even know how to choose a dB goal. Small to Medium Sized bars/venues. 18" drivers. Looking at parts express for a budget driver. Something to compliment a half decent PA system. Bass player only has a single 15" bass amp right now, which won't be enough. We will need bass bins/subs. Something simple but effective.

A short list

For ~40 Hz and up:

SS15 (Single Sheet Tapped horn), 15" driver.
Cubo 15, 15" driver.
Cubo 18, 18" driver.
Tham 15, 15" driver.
Tham 18, 18" driver.

Less efficient per driver but definately usable is the G-sub (double 18" reflex).

For ~30 Hz and up:

Xoc1's TH18, 18" driver.
C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH.
Cubo Sub, 18" and 21" drivers.
Keystone for 15" and 18" drivers.

If you're using "budget drivers" and "for a band" in the same post, I would recommend to go for a ~40 Hz and up design.
Most designs can be found on here, the few others with Google.

Best regards Johan

Hi guys. I am looking for a place to maybe buy a subkit for 15 or 18" drivers with plans for easy DIY bass bins. I have build 2 home theater subs last year, and now our band is going to be performing, and maybe DIY bass bins would be the way to go to save $$$. I really enjoyed building pre-designed kits, where I get the plans and driver, then build the cabinet at home.
We will only be playing medium to medium small places (local bars, etc).
Looking for simplicity.
Appreciate any ideas, or links, etc.
Thanks!

Lots of designs available. In your shoes, I'd be considering how PORTABLE I want the bass bins to be. Makes no sense building one of those 18" TH designs if you have no good means of transporting them for example :).

Single bins are easyer to transport, carry and use. You should avoid a double bin,without separating the inner chambers. This is going to give you resonances at the long walls and you will have a the longest inner resonance inside the passband. Avoid using a panel to make up the reflex port together with one of the walls. That can cause standing waves to exit the bin by following the walls and load at the exit of the port.
You can design the cabinet to be small and then you can set FB low and boost that frequencie with a processor. If you dont want to work that way, you will tune a larger
design to be flat without equalization. Everything is possible, just please go with some decent drivers, it is not worth the work and the wood otherwise. Goe with Emminence or whatever pro brand you can get on your market.
Those drivers just do the job and will sound better.

Hi guys. I am looking for a place to maybe buy a subkit for 15 or 18" drivers with plans for easy DIY bass bins.
a bass reflex cab is easy-est imo.
there are plenty of plans around this forum,
like msgr says ,many speaker manufacturer have sugested designs for there products,fi b&c speakers and eighteensound
whe need a little more info on how loud /low you want to go.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.