Fane XB Hifi/Home Cinema Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey I have a fane xb driver in a 7 cf^3 box tuned around 44 hz,

I cannot bring the box to university, I will just take the driver and build a new box. I'm looking for something that is a bit of a low end monster, I have around 500w rms to play with.

The current box sounds good but I've never had something that can properly play into the 20's and would quite like to experience ideally around 25 hz extension. Will be in a living room, I have a behringer super x pro crossover.

Should I just build a 8cf^3 tuned around 35?

Might be used for parties although I'm not too worried because last year we did around 200 people house parties with just a pair of wharfedale valdus 500 on a nad 370 and a corner loaded wharfedale sw150 hooked up to a 300w separate amp and it sounded really good, because of the smaller room sounder better than most clubs because it wasn't turned up into clipping and valdus 500's sound better than cheap pa gear at high volumes/expensive stuff ruined by bad dj's clipping/compressing etc. Any box for the fane will destroy the wharfedale sw 150 in terms of quality and output frankly.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated, might look into horns but I do want it to sound good at regular listening volumes also. Music is more important than home cinema.

Will be crossed definitely below 80 hz, more typically used around 40-60ish and below. Want to feel the bass drum thump and lower decay so with it crossed around 60 i still get good output to 80ish with the crossover. If its not possible to get a tight sound and good chest thump and low extension i would rather sacrifice 35 and below, not too bothered about movie effects, can still feel most anyway.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Is that a 18 or 15" driver?
Just spent some time on a sim for the 15 as I have 2 of these and then realised you have not stated what driver size you have.:(

Attachments

• XB 15 reflex.jpg
    XB 15 reflex.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 112
Is that a 18 or 15" driver?
Just spent some time on a sim for the 15 as I have 2 of these and then realised you have not stated what driver size you have.:(

SO SORRY, its the 18, thanks for your time, sorry you modeled the 15. I really appreciate your time. I can model ported/bandpass/isobaric/sealed etc but haven't got time to learn how to model horns because I have an exam next week, thanks again :)

In short, I don't think you're going to get as low as you want from this driver: its designed for efficiency, not extension.

You could put it in a really big box, and tune down around 25Hz - you'd end up with an EBS (Extended Bass Shelf) alignment. Its just another way of sacrificing some efficiency to get some extension.

If you wanted to be able to switch between loud music and movies, why not use a large ported cabinet, and have the option to block the ports for movies?

Sealed boxes roll off fairly slowly, so, with the addition of room gain, can go very low. They don't have the same sheer SPL capability of a ported box, but the sealed box will carry on to 20Hz, where the ported box would just unload, causing the driver to flap around.

Chris

If I'm honest bjorno I have no idea what type of cabinet you are suggesting, how to build it or if that diagram means I can only use 189 watts before reaching xmax, meaning a loss in higher frequency spl, or if the faint graph is the true max I can produce.

Thanks, I would be grateful if you could clarify some of these things. To clarify my position I have never used horn response and do not understand what it means.

Would a 7.5 cf^3 tuned around 35 hz be a good compromise if I go with a simple box? Also what about the 184 6th order bandpass subwoofer from speaker plans, would a ported sound better?

Thanks again everyone for your input.

You could use a 200w amp, and hit >120dB to below 20Hz (pretty sure the grey trace is corner loaded).

The cabinet would be about 260L.

Its very good extension (nearly an octave below Fs), but maximum SPL has been compromised somewhat: you could use a more conventional ported design tuned ~33Hz that would go louder, but you lose out on the extension.

You're going to have to compromise somewhere.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.