Sound system with subwoofer or all-in-one solution?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

for quite a while I wondered what is the best way to get great sound for less money. I already tried headphones and sound systems (satellites with a subwoofer) but didn't spend that much money. I found all-in-one sound systems (satellites and subwoofers in one case). What do you think they will sound like?

Any ideas what I should spend my money on?

None of the speakers in that link had subwoofers.
Midbasses, perhaps, but I wouldn't ask 30Hz from any of them.

I'd expect them to all carry the typical "commercial speaker" sound: peaked bass response giving the impression of low bass (without actually going low), and plenty of high treble so it sounds "airy" and "fast", but ultimately fatiguing.

To answer your question, I'll need to ask some of my own:
- how much money are we talking about here? There are DIY designs to beat commercial stuff in almost every price bracket.
- are there any size constraints?
- do you look for anything in particular from a system? - any particular music it ought to be able to do well? How loud will it be used?

Chris

That link is dead.

As a speaker engineer, I will categorically state that nothing "all-in-one" can give really great sound.

Great sound for less money would be used AKG K240DF headphones (not 240, gotta be -DF).

And yeah, you need to give us more detail about your constraints.

Another great sound for little money is used speakers from a yard sale, charity store, or pawn shop.

Used headphones. 25 cents for Sennheiser HD414 at a flea market, although I'd rather listen to the MDR-V700 pawn shop Sonys that were $25, since they have bass.

Deeply discounted new speakers or drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.