My wife's computer speakers suck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Obviously computer speakers suck. We all know that. At least the stock ones do. Obviously there are plenty of examples of great computer speakers on this and other boards. But my wife's laptop has approximately the 3rd worst sound of any computer I've ever seen.

I built her a little box a couple years ago with both channels, amp, iPod dock, and 12v battery all integrated. It's nice, but it's 12"x12"x12" and weighs quite a bit. Not the least bit portable.

So I'm wanting to build her something that she can easily bring with her computer. I haven't figured out an exact form factor or anything yet. Just exploring options. But I'm wondering above all else what the best bang-for-the-buck is for small form factor and reasonable bass output in a driver. I did search for this and came up with between dozens and hundreds of results for different terms, but none were quite what I'm asking here. Obviously it's more than possible that it's just the specific search terms I'm using. So if this question has already been clearly answered kindly show me the way and I'll go there.

Otherwise I'd be interested in specific recommendations. Not trying to win any awards here, just trying to help her better enjoy the shows she watches on her computer.

Also (and I haven't actually searched for this yet, it just occurred to me) I would appreciate any resources you can direct me to for what I need to know to shield whatever I end up building from the computer (or rather the other way around). This is new territory and I'm aware that there are specific considerations that need to be included, but I don't actually know what they are.

Thanks!!!

- Jon

Just for scale...

Attachments

• archives-19.jpg
    archives-19.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 167
For portability - Etymotic Research in ear headphones (earbuds actually).... Won't pound your chest but will pound your noggin' and weight next to nothing..!!

Aura NS3's or the Dayton copy in 64 cubic inch boxes ala Wolf at part express forums - pair with sub and a bit of eq and they will work well and pretty damn flat (or Zaphs redo with the little HiVi's)....

Shielding is a moot point with LCD's - only needed with CRT based monitors of old

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've been working on a project recently that sort-of fits here.

Take one
Bose iPod Docking Station (Slightly Faulty) | eBay

Remove the internal electronics. All of them. The speakers inside are half-decent: no really low bass, but a bit of a peak before rolloff gives a decent impression of having low end.
Basically just find a faulty Bose sounddock. I got mine free as someone was throwing it out. A dead one is ~£50 over here.

Add one of
Mini Amplifier Board 10Wx2 Class D Amplifier DC 12V NEW | eBay

Power with, for example, a 7.2v RC car battery: commonly available, will run the speakers plenty loud - I use mine on the college playing fields: I'm told one football pitch width is the maximum range.
A decent battery will get >1.5 hours running the system flat out. Easy to carry a few around, so that's what I do.

Upgrade the battery etc as you wish, but the entire thing cost me (so far) £11. To do it again would be more like £80. I'd still consider it a bargain.

Chris

PS - the next step is to add some high capacity AA rechargables (there's space underneath) as a permanent feature, then work on taking out the low bass (cut pointless cone excursion) and boosting the highs slightly.

Last edited:
Hi,

The fundamental problem is the sound from the laptop sucks,
it does on nearly all laptops, and also apparently for a laptop
it is very poor, which means it must be bordering on painful.

Easy to fix, i.e. make loads better for next to nothing.

These USB powered speakers plug straight into a laptop,
do slaughter any laptop I've heard, they sound very decent,
come with a carry bag they can be put into for portability,
and are very cheap, not worth trying to build similar :

41WfDPfCXVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S150...98LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333490447&sr=8-1

Simply auditory luxury compared to laptops, and small enough
with the carry bag, that you would take them with you travelling.
USB powered makes them as portable as the laptop on battery.
They will transform watching videos, and make music palatable.

Before I get bashed about by the hifi types, I've no delusions
as to how good / bad they are, they are just a lot better than
laptop speakers and sound a lot better than one might expect.
The speakers below are a big step higher, and worth it IMO.

rgds, sreten.

My laptop speakers are mains powered so not very portable, but good :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...r-speakers-what-you-can-get-25-usd-15gbp.html

514CGK08H9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.