Need sub suggestions <150l, directional!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice to see you have your' head wrapped around this very nicely. :usd:

Cheers,
revb

I am probably not that good at formulating my thoughts properly, but there probably is some sort of process going on somewhere, most likely my gut, maybe not that accurate, but it's all I have.

I am modeling a lot of different designs with a lot of different drivers daily, but it is hard to really find something that is a better compromise than the box I stated as my final decision in post #15

After all, everything is a compromise I always say. Increasing size of the box will of course help on bandwidth in some ways, but then there may be other issues one has to deal with.

Here is another solution that is interesting, the problem is that the depth of the box will be just over my "pain limit", and the other is that the driver will sag over time with the box standing up. Bandwidth is impressive nevertheless. Driver placed at the very beginning of T-TQWT. Almost 2,5 octave usable bandwidth or so, I do not like the hammock, but it's not too bad.

Edit:
I am expecting maybe 1-2 dB possible loss (worst case) from placement compared to 2pi simulations no matter what I end up with.

Attachments

• T-TQWT - Beyma 12BR70v2.png
    T-TQWT - Beyma 12BR70v2.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
KaffiMann,

Have a look at the following simulations:

b :)

Attachments

• 5_Beyma_12BR70E_ML_TL.JPG
    5_Beyma_12BR70E_ML_TL.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 68
  • 4_Beyma-12BR70_OD-TL.JPG
    4_Beyma-12BR70_OD-TL.JPG
    793.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 3_Beyma-12BR70_T-TQWT_OD-corner.JPG
    3_Beyma-12BR70_T-TQWT_OD-corner.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 2_OD_T-TQWT_versus_T-TQWT.jpg
    2_OD_T-TQWT_versus_T-TQWT.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 1_Beyma-12BR70_T-TQWT_OD-corner-T-TQWT_versus_TTQWT.JPG
    1_Beyma-12BR70_T-TQWT_OD-corner-T-TQWT_versus_TTQWT.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 187
Bjorno:

Thanks for all the work, but that design i posted last is not even up for consideration. As i mentioned it's: a) too deep b) the driver will sag over time, making it another deal breaker for me.

Regarding the possible/not possible part, what i did was take the very beginning of the tqwt, before any sort of tapering has occured, and put the driver there, on a 33x33cm board (1089cm2), big enough for mounting the driver.

Which part of it is not possible?

Sure, i am not even remotely interested in it, but why is it not possible? Is it because of the way hornresp simulates TH? It is still a tapped design, just a different one.

I really appreciate the help, and the frequency response you get out of those double fold simulations are very good and promising. However looking at the box dimensions you are basing it on, it seems like it will be a problem with depth, It will be difficult to have a box depth greater than 40cm here (materials included).

I am still considering the solution from post#15 for simplicity and ease of build as well as size.

A lot of the music I am listening to have extension down to 25Hz, in an ideal world it would be nice to have flat response down to this point. But given size restrictions and room modes it seems like a near impossible task. So again, I am forced to compromise.

This is taking forever to finish. The kids are having a nap, then we're going over to some friends to eat whole roasted suckling pig, Bali style.

Here is the hornresp of the thingy's I am building, and a photo of the uglies. As well as a close up of the Beyma 12BR70, very much value for the money, I think it is magnesium cast frame? Not sure, it is a very light and stiff material anyway. Also a picture of one of the amp channels assembled including SMPS, and both the boxes that the two amp channels wil go into, not finished.

I have tried firing up one of these, and the two of them may end up beating my big TH into pulp, at least under these difficult room conditions. I gave it hell and it rattles the room evenly down to 23-24hz where it gives up fast after that.

Attachments

• T-TQWT - Beyma 12BR70 Final.png
    T-TQWT - Beyma 12BR70 Final.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 85
  • SL376759.jpg
    SL376759.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 106
  • SL376761.jpg
    SL376761.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 104
  • SL376763.jpg
    SL376763.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 75
  • SL376762.jpg
    SL376762.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 83
  • SL376764.jpg
    SL376764.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 85
  • SL376765.jpg
    SL376765.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 80
  • SL376766.jpg
    SL376766.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 79
Has it come to anyone's attention that pretty much by definition low frequencies are omni-directional? Localized bass would require something like ultrasonic carrier modulation and you could never move your head. Just physics folks.

There is no good or bad place to put a sub. Each reacts with the room differently. I can make good use of a corner, but I design the sub to be in a corner.

There are only two ways to smooth out bass. Move outside where you have only one boundary ( ground) or learn about room tuning and bass traps. The first is easy but not fun in the rain. The second is very hard. The one thing that WILL NOT WORK, is to expect the next magic driver or box to solve your problems. Sorry, physics again.

Has it come to anyone's attention that pretty much by definition low frequencies are omni-directional? Localized bass would require something like ultrasonic carrier modulation and you could never move your head. Just physics folks.

There is no good or bad place to put a sub. Each reacts with the room differently. I can make good use of a corner, but I design the sub to be in a corner.

There are only two ways to smooth out bass. Move outside where you have only one boundary ( ground) or learn about room tuning and bass traps. The first is easy but not fun in the rain. The second is very hard. The one thing that WILL NOT WORK, is to expect the next magic driver or box to solve your problems. Sorry, physics again.

Your points are valid, the low frequency sounds are perceived by humans as omni directional. We have no idea, or way of distinguishing where the sound originates.

However, I was/am certain that where a subwoofer points or is placed and what is in that direction or part of the room (walls, chimneys, air ducts, doors and such) can have a great impact on the further path of the sound, how it will behave and if certain parts of the frequency spectrum will weaken or increase in amplitude as a side effect from this. We all know that a corner causes the low frequencies to couple more directly with room modes (both good and bad), just as stated earlier in this thread and others (again).

Again, I am stating that my effort to battle this will be to move the aperture of the subs away from floor, walls and ceiling, to reduce coupling with room modes. The short tests I have conducted so far tells me I have succeeded to a great extent, I have a minor boost at around 80hz to be concerned about, but response is far more even and controllable than when using the TH firing straight into a very troublesome corner (air duct and poorly sealed balcony door, almost a wall full of windows).

This project is already a great success, and I am not even finished yet.

Edit:
Will a bass horn magically provide even bass response no matter where you place/point it? If so, it would make my diy audio life a lot easier. I know it works on flat ground outside, but it does NOT work in my room.

Edit2:
The apertures from these T-TQWT's will point directly at listening position, not at wall, not at the floor, not into a corner, I do not want to rely on reflections in this room, it does not work.

Last edited:
Will a bass horn magically provide even bass response no matter where you place/point it?

Edit2:
The apertures from these T-TQWT's will point directly at listening position, not at wall, not at the floor, not into a corner, I do not want to rely on reflections in this room, it does not work.
A bass horn is more directional in the upper range than a direct radiator, so has less even response and is less forgiving regarding where it is pointed.

Unless you have a very large room, the low frequency you hear at any point in the room will have a large reflected content.

A bass horn is more directional in the upper range than a direct radiator, so has less even response and is less forgiving regarding where it is pointed.

Unless you have a very large room, the low frequency you hear at any point in the room will have a large reflected content.

:)

The difference is where the first room reflections originate.

I have no good explanation for it, other than with the TH, I had mainly 40hz and nulls although it was designed 0db at 80hz evenly down to -5db at 19hz, works well in other rooms. Now I have a very even response, and a minor boost at 80hz.

Last edited:
Titanic MKIII 10" in tapped horn maybe?

It comes close to the 95dB sensitivity requirement, has a usable and effectively flat 30-80hz bandwidth, box size isn't too terrible huge for a horn either (under 200l).

I honestly don't know enough about horns to say whether what I am proposing is a good idea or not, but it is an idea :) Get more opinions.

I'm thinking a pair of such units would probably be more at home as bass bins in a sound reinforcement system, but hey, they could double as house deconstruction duty.

Regards,
Eric

[PS: attachment #5 below is peak particle velocity @40V]

Very interesting, I'll have to model this too. Thanks.

:)

The difference is where the first room reflections originate.

I have no good explanation for it, other than with the TH, I had mainly 40hz and nulls although it was designed 0db at 80hz evenly down to -5db at 19hz, works well in other rooms. Now I have a very even response, and a minor boost at 80hz.

Hi Kaffimann,

A late sim. contribution I couldn't post earlier than now : See the picture.

Questions: How many T-TQWT subs have you built? and have you tested your set-up with(without) the TH?: What's your impression of the SQ?

b:)

Attachments

• T-TQWT- Beyma-12BR70_Post#22.JPG
    T-TQWT- Beyma-12BR70_Post#22.JPG
    964.7 KB · Views: 145
Hi Kaffimann,

A late sim. contribution I couldn't post earlier than now : See the picture.

Questions: How many T-TQWT subs have you built? and have you tested your set-up with(without) the TH?: What's your impression of the SQ?

I have built 2 of these T-TQWT's, the brief tests I have conducted so far seem to give way much higher SQ than from the TH. A lot faster response/better timing. But I have not had the time and/or opportunity to test with both at the same time yet, I will take some pictures and post them along with a short comment on the sound when they are finished.

They are currently at a car paint shop, I just got 1 of them sanded down yesterday, took me the whole evening, I have never seen wood shine with no oil, varnish or coating before. It is beautiful. The harder parts of the wood reflect the light differently than the softer parts, we tried sanding the top up to 800 paper, it is very smooth and good looking.

I am torn between finish choices here, the original idea was to use a chestnut+ cherry varnish mix to get a darker and warmer glow, then coat with silk-matte clear finish. I was considering going black metallic for a while (will do that for the amp boxes and the access lid on the T-TQWT's), and now I am considering just adding a silk-matte clear finish to show off the somewhat rough ply boxes sanded down beauty more.

Edit:
I forgot to mention.
I build two for myself, and a friend of mine is also building 2 for his HT.

Last edited:
Bjorno:

Is this feasible?

I've been playing about with OD designs and I've seen you post some of them as well, have been thinking about how low can you go with a reasonably flat response, dreaming of 15hz at <150L... :)

This is scalable up or down in frequency, just keep all the lengths at the same ratio to each other.

Edit:
I experimented with lengths and sizes A LOT to get to this point, it seems that if you find the correct size for S1, it can be scaled down and not impair frequency extension much, this seems only valid if you have similar lengths at L12 and L23, but I have no idea if it will work.

Edit2:
there is nothing in the way of adjusting L12 to reduce size, but smoothness, extension and phase will be heavily influenced.

Attachments

• Weirdo - Eminence LAB12.png
    Weirdo - Eminence LAB12.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
..Is this feasible?.. but I have no idea if it will work..

Hi Kaffiman,

Your design is feasible and will work fine! The submitted picture:

I've made quite a few of very similar designs starting ~ 30 years ago.. ended using the Peerless 830452 when first released with designing a IME very good sounding Sub used from ~ 15 Hz to~ 50 Hz that I had tailored to fit a huge bookshelf, placed at the dead center in the system set-up.

Later I started to use Aluminium drivers in OD-TL and recently( a few years) only in T-TQWT's/T-QWP's or T-MLQWP's that sounds IMO superior and act like point-sources.

Attachments

• LAB12_OD-TL.JPG
    LAB12_OD-TL.JPG
    939.8 KB · Views: 117
Hi Kaffiman,

Your design is feasible and will work fine! The submitted picture:

I've made quite a few of very similar designs starting ~ 30 years ago.. ended using the Peerless 830452 when first released with designing a IME very good sounding Sub used from ~ 15 Hz to~ 50 Hz that I had tailored to fit a huge bookshelf, placed at the dead center in the system set-up.

Later I started to use Aluminium drivers in OD-TL and recently( a few years) only in T-TQWT's/T-QWP's or T-MLQWP's that sounds IMO superior and act like point-sources.

Very interesting.

Since I am getting rid of my TH I have nothing to put my TV on, considering building something "extra" to act as a stereo and TV bench :)

Not sure if my wife will approve yet, but she was the one complaining over moving out the over 300L TH in the first place :p She likes it, and it keeps the kids away from all the wires.

So all in all I have about 200-250L worth of space if I fold it right + materials(preferably 150x60x36 cm or less including material, a little bit higher than the TH), looking to press out a little extra in the lower regions if possible. Goal is basically as low as possible from 30hz down at 110DB or better in halfspace, max power 300W regardless of impedance. Silly and near impossible, but still a goal.

So I am just going over the options. Waste of time?

Acoustic peak at 12,22hz, the simulation is below xmax all the way down at 40V.
Maybe a 10hz HP would be smart, I imagine LP at 50hz, phase=0 there.. May also be a benefit to glue the driver tight to the enclosure, I've found this to reduce needed xmax before.

I do not have enough room for this, but a guy can dream.

Edit:
Not bad for 490,2L?

Attachments

• Weirdo - Precision Devices PD2150.png
    Weirdo - Precision Devices PD2150.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Sorry about the bump.

I got some questions regarding the beyma 12br70 and thougth I'd better post some pictures of their current life. Works pretty well, certainly given me a reputation in my new neighbourhood.

Attachments

• 1465929331773-830052146.jpg
    1465929331773-830052146.jpg
    975.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 146592946501466154451.jpg
    146592946501466154451.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 74
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.