Port calculations - 90 degree bend

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi DIY'ers,

I'm making a subwoofer box and due to my square ports are a bit too long for the box dimensions intended, I'm considering making a 90 degree bend, but does that effect the tuning of the box?
If so, how do I calculate the dimensions for the new port?

Regards,

Simon H.A.

My port velocity is not too high (according to WinISD), so it shouldn't be a problem.
Port velocity is a separate issue from tuning (Fb).
You can easily check the port tuning by eye, put a dot on the cone and play sine wave tones through the cabinet, the cone will have least movement at Fb.

Always best to go a little long on the port length, you can cut it down if Fb is lower than you want.

The 90 degree bend will probably lower the tuning a bit from what it would be if it were straight.

Oh good grief, DON'T bend the port! :headbash:

Just think about it-how is fast-moving air at high pressure going to turn that corner? That's right, not very well at all!! :eek:

I do not understand why people do this, it is common sense that it's just dumb. Of course it will work and make some kind of output. At moderate SPL it might even work OK. At high SPL it will become turbulent, or as Nokia's Juha Backman put it, "relatively small irregularities can increase the nonlinearity greatly."
Methinks a 90 degree bend would qualify as an "irregularity" :p
You'd be better off with a smaller port that at least would flow more linearly.

There are good papers about ports, but I don't know a free source offhand
Loudspeaker Ports
Author: Vanderkooy, John
AES E-Library Loudspeaker Ports

The Nonlinear Behavior of Reflex Ports
Author: Backman, Juha
AES E-Library The Nonlinear Behavior of Reflex Ports

Maximizing Performance from Loudspeaker Ports
Authors: Salvatti, Alex; Button, Doug; Devantier, Alan
AES E-Library Maximizing Performance from Loudspeaker Ports

A suggested bent shelf type vent method.

bentport.gif

A typical 4" ID schedule 40 PVC 90° elbow acts like it is about 9" long (terminated flush on the front panel).

"You'd be better off with a smaller port that at least would flow more linearly. "

I disagree.

The JBL 4311 (L100) studio monitor uses a 3" ID port with a 90° elbow, a smaller port (that would fit the box without bending) would have 'chuffed' horribly.

Air flow in ports is non-linear with changes in volume anyway. Examining the shift in tuning frequency between small signal and maximum output can show a difference in Fb of 10% in some designs.

Last edited:
As long as the port is not designed to have high velocity (faster than 15m/s) a bend will not do much to the wave flow.

the pic is a design for a 12" sub with 14mm Xmax that is tuned to ~15hz and 14m/s max at full output. the bend does nothing to the output when compared to a strait port of the same dimensions.

design the port right and it won't matter.

Attachments

• DSCF4013.jpg
    DSCF4013.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 348
  • air-ducts-resistance-coefficient-bend.jpg
    air-ducts-resistance-coefficient-bend.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 366
  • oldbg3.jpg
    oldbg3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 359
I'd much rather have 90 or even 180 degree bends to make up a port, ideally with some mild treatments to "smooth" out harsh angles, than a port that is too small.

The only issue is that, when the port size gets really big and long to deal with those low Vas low Fs drivers, simulation in programs like WinISD likely starts to get inaccurate. Better to use hornresp or TL worksheets or something else to come up with a more reliable sim.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.