System Pictures & Description / Subwoofer Gallery

My first time back here in quite some time. Thought I would post a quick pic of my brand new DIY subwoofer in here.
I built this sub because I built a new HT using commercial horns they were to be headed for a dumpster at a local theater. All they needed were new drivers in the bass bins, so I took them home and refurbished them. Since these are "W" horns, they didn't have a very deep-reaching response and I felt like they needed to be backed up by a dedicated subwoofer. This subwoofer was built specifically to hit the lowest lows in any movie, hit them loud, clean, and keep balance with the mains. The enclosure was a partitioned, dual-driver cabinet with each section having its own 4" flared port in the rear. It's all tuned to a whopping 23Hz using Eminence LAB-12 drivers. The drivers were wires in series for an 8ohm load to a SpeakOn jack on the back of the cab. This is where the enclosure will be connected to a Mackie M-1400i pro-audio amplifier, which is putting out 1000w@8ohm bridged. Now having the overrated amplifier was just for dynamic capability, but the subs are only rated for 800wrms combined. That just means I can't run full rms power. However, I should have no issues with dynamic or program power seeing as the peak power handling of the subs is 1600w.
The amps were also going to be tossed at the theater but I rescued and restored those as well. They had dirty switches and dead fans but they still had full-quality sound and no DC offset. Replaced the bad fans and put DeoxIt on the rear switches. Amps run like new!
Without further ado, pictures are here:
Eminence LAB-12 drivers (also in a temporary enclosure)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Boards cut and ready

Marking drivers

Half-assembled

Ports arrived from eBay. 4" Precision-Port flared kits

Marking ports

Cutting and installing ports

Installing input jack

Sealing the cab

Installing drivers

Finished product

The powerhouse (what you can see, hard to see the front side)
Sony BluRay
Xbox 360
Hitachi (I forget model) projector
Yamaha RX-V795 preamp (HT receiver)
Samson S-curve 215 for mains
Behringer FBQ1502 used as active crossover for subs (connected to Samson through link)
Mackie M-1400i for mains (the one on the top)
Mackie M-1400i bridged for subs (one on bottom)

554657_10150926640298893_859105684_n.jpg
THAM15 been benched!

Here's a few pics of mine, some under construction and sketches of my t-tqwt subs and my corner loaders. Peerless 831759s.

Some of the pics are from the room that I'm still in the process of building.

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,189
  • tqwt-properscale-b.jpg
    tqwt-properscale-b.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,350
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 1,439
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,634
The HT setup I finally completed in my apartment...
Surround:

Main L/R

Center stack:

Consists of..

Marantz SR5006 Receiver
Mini DSP for Subwoofer
QSC MX 1500 for Subwoofer
Sony BDP s590
Samsung 51" Plasma
Nintendo Wii
Verizon FIOS HD box

Speakers are all DIY:
Center: Zaph ZA5c
L/R: Curt Campbell Stentorians
Surrounds: Zaph ZA5
Subwoofer: 18" Dayton Ref. 225L Sealed box

^im not sure I understand?

Does the subwoofer shake the TV/other electronics? Im sure vibration is transferred somewhat, but I'm not listening to the system at very high levels. And I've never noticed the TV shaking at all. I have no doubt the subwoofer setup has the ability to do some damage, but I've never tested it at high output to risk that ;)

It's the non DSP NU6000. I already had a MiniDSP 2x4. So far it has been working quite well. It's more power than the subs needs, so I'm happy. Stock fans were way too loud, but that was an easy fix. Still stays plenty cool.

Second sub is finished now. Granite tops added.

new-placement.jpg

granite-subwoofer-top-2-650x433.jpg

Nice setup. How do you like the Behringer DSP amp?

Last edited:
awesome cabinets guys!!
@marunga more info please ( if off topic PM me )
@paulwanamaker... ridiculously good craftsmanship but i've read that you want to make a cnc machine...that will take all the fun away from you and i bet you like the procedure!have you considered a lathe instead??for 3-4 pieces not a hollow vessel