Choice of 15" driver for 3.75 cu.ft. vented cab, 40 Hz F3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What 15" driver would you recommend for a 3.75 cu.ft. vented cab that should be capable of doing 40 Hz? 95dB/1W/1M in the passband or thereabouts should be good enough. This is going to be used to provide some additional bass for some PSX-153 cabs that I've restored. In fact, the cabinet in question that's going to be used for the sub is an empty PSX-153 cabinet (it's too expensive to replace all of the blown drivers and the blown x-over, so I'm trying to repurpose it).

The B&C 15PS100 15" Woofer (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-673) seems like it would be a decent match. Any other suggestions worth consideration?

That B&C looks great IMO. Models very nicely for response to ~40hz with a 3.7ft^3 box tuned to ~39hz. Sensitivity is estimated to be more like 95db@100hz, diminishing to ~92db@40hz. Pe is excursion limited at ~540W (very impressive), good for ~120db@540W@1M from 40hz up.
----------------

More than likely, to get 95db sensitivity from 40hz up would require a driver with much less Xmax.

What sort of maximum drive levels are you looking for?

Eric

Last edited:
Found this: RCF L15P540 15" Woofer Speaker 294-860

from 50-100hz it's about 2db more efficient in the 3.7ft box size than the B&C. Xmax limited Pe is about 420W (tune box to 45hz). Result is higher maximum output through most of the listening range than the B&C (~1db advantage), with the B&C being able to play louder in the 40-50hz range IF you feed it more power...

Differences are pretty minuscule but this is so far the only other driver that pops out at me as competing with the B&C around the same price. There are some more expensive drivers out there that may perform slightly better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.