Double bass-reflex enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am curious to know whether single 18" double bass reflex enclosures would be any good for outdoor djing and p.a uses if possible.I know they may turn out to be very large but just curious and which software can best model these with drivers and port front-facing.
I am not experienced with djing or PA, but the answer depends very much on what you want to acheive. For less crowded areas with limited distance to the crowd - why not?
If you for example take BMS 18N860 and use it in a 250 net litre BR cabinet and tune it to 23Hz, it could produce some 117dB/1m/1500W outdoor, baffle step diffraction loss taken into account. It's capacity extends relatively flat down to 23Hz and without getting outside xmax at 20Hz. That should leave you some 110dB "distortion free" average sound pressure level and low frequency electronic music should be no problem. It could off course be driven harder, but then outside its (by definition) linear operating range. Add another sub and you gain 6dB of maximum sound pressure - four subs +12dB and so on :)
By the way... this would also make a very nice sub for home use.

A free and easy to use Excel tool is Kristian Ougaard's Unibox

I am curious to know whether single 18" double bass reflex enclosures would be any good for outdoor djing and p.a uses if possible.I know they may turn out to be very large but just curious and which software can best model these with drivers and port front-facing.
..hmm...come to think of it, I have never heard or seen anyone use a double bass reflex cab of any sort(that I am aware of). I am definately curious about the outcome of this thread...how is the efficiency with such a critter?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You might want to have a read of this article by Claudio DCR

As far as I am aware the overall size of this style of DCR is no more than it would be for a single chamber bass reflex. The main advantage of DCR that I have seen mentioned is lower distortion.

Tony.

Akabak should run under Win7 32 bit, but it does not run under Win7 64: at least, I haven't been able to make it go.
So I use it on my WinXP32 SP3 netbook, which works a treat.

There is also a 'Virtual XP' mode included in Win7 Ultimate (I think) and there is a 'VirtualXP' downloadable from Microsloth which I have, but haven't been game to try on my 'real' PC. My system is very stable and I am reluctant to mess with the OS too much.

Possible simulations in AkAbak and Hornresp

Hi,

Here are two items that may be helpful:

1. Don Hills did the work in AkAbak for the two chambers / three ports version, you'll have to modify the script(s) to fit your needs: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189223-crazy-box-design-input-please-4.html

2. I'll also attach a Hornresp export file for a two chambers / two ports (maybe Fostex style for lack of a better name) double bass reflex type enclosure:

Regards,

Attachments

• 2c2p_br.txt
    473 bytes · Views: 95
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.