Green Glue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe this isn't the proper forum, but I was wondering if the use of Green Glue in the walls of a listening room would improve the clarity of bass by damping out the wall resonances? The company recommends two layers of drywall bonded with their product to reduce noise transmission, but it also heavily dampens wall resonances as well, so wouldn't this improve the clarity of bass in a room because of the lack of resonating walls?

Yes but be careful of the manufacturers claims. It won't be the end all nor even close.

Yeah, but it has to be better than just plain drywall nailed to studs, doesn't it? Almost everything I read about this stuff was for noise transmission through walls but I couldn't find anything about how it changed the sound inside the room. I had to deduce that myself, or at least make an assumption and ask questions.

Last edited:
Ted White of Green Glue often posts on many of the audio and home theater sub-forums that deal with room construction and acoustics. His web-site has many, many pages on room construction and real test lab results. Ted White is not the type of person to make idle clams.

Remember that while Green Glue is green, it's not glue!

Ted White of Green Glue often posts on many of the audio and home theater sub-forums that deal with room construction and acoustics. His web-site has many, many pages on room construction and real test lab results. Ted White is not the type of person to make idle clams.

Remember that while Green Glue is green, it's not glue!

Do you have the link to his website?

It's not glue? How do you use it in speaker cabinet building then? I was considering using it to put a decorative plywood over a MDF speaker box, but if it's not glue then I need some other way to secure the ply to the MDF. Help!

It may be good for contrained layer damping, but not as a glue, per se. It stays somewhat flexible. Panels need to be heavily screwed together. How do you do that with "decorative" plywood? It's probably not thick enough to screw from the inside out. And screws would ruin the decoration of the plywood if screwed from the outside. Would be better to glue and screw a second panel on the outside, then veneer it. Liquid nails subfloor adhesive may be just as good, if not better--and a lot cheaper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.