The Othorn tapped horn

@phantom811 : Alright ! Nice, I'm waiting for those measurements ahah.

I plan to build Othorn anyway, before the end of 2018 if everything is going good for me, its size and output is exactly what I want.
Will just have to choose my driver afterwise, it will be PD1850 or B&C 18NW100, depending the feedbacks I can get.

If someone can send me the pdf file with the plans, I would be very grateful ! I can only find the picture with all the informations, a bit hard to read ...

@Josh - Are you able to take donations? Infinite Audio NZ would like to send you a small percentage of any monies made from the Othorns, from now until infinity. Seems only fair.
Great gesture :)

@phantom811 : Alright ! Nice, I'm waiting for those measurements ahah.

I plan to build Othorn anyway, before the end of 2018 if everything is going good for me, its size and output is exactly what I want.
Will just have to choose my driver afterwise, it will be PD1850 or B&C 18NW100, depending the feedbacks I can get.

If someone can send me the pdf file with the plans, I would be very grateful ! I can only find the picture with all the informations, a bit hard to read ...
Have you downloaded the plans off Josh's site, data-bass?

@Josh - Are you able to take donations? Infinite Audio NZ would like to send you a small percentage of any monies made from the Othorns, from now until infinity. Seems only fair.

I appreciate the offer.
All I have ever asked is that my designs are not sold as a commercial product for profit since they are public "freeware". I'm certainly not adverse to contributions though.

PM sent,

I appreciate the offer.
All I have ever asked is that my designs are not sold as a commercial product for profit since they are public "freeware". I'm certainly not adverse to contributions though.

PM sent,
Thank you for making your hard work and designs freely available for everyone, Josh :)

I'm not in a position to build one at the moment but it's on my long-term To Do list!

Well, the 8 Othorns are opening up nicely, and I am (as are the rest of the crew) simply in love with this design. We initially experienced an overheating issue on their first outing, which we have since ironed out I believe. Apart from that one little glitch, we couldn't be happier. They are purring along perfectly.

My friend did float the idea of water cooling the magnets. Has anyone tried this on sub drivers (neodymium in particular) or know of anyone that has?

For everyone who messaged me or replied in this thread, regarding data and RTS readings etc, when I get back to NZ in October, I will finally have the equipment to perform specific tests, and will post them in due course.

For now though, we are looking at options for diy tops for the coming summer festival season, which will replace the cloned F1 Res2's we purchased for the interim. Been musing over many ideas, from the simplicity of the MT121/130 and SMT212, to the details curves of the PM90. So many decisions, with such limited experiences with the Othorns....

For now, here's 4 x Othorns getting a soaking in the NZ bush. Thankfully someone had some umbrella's handy :rolleyes:

Be well people!

Last edited:
What are you wanting out of a top?

If using full active setup I know a few designs that are crazy on SPL but not exactly cheap. Eitherway nice to see the Othorns are continuing to populate the world. :)

Hey mate

I made a thread over in the multi forum, which details most particulars, wants and needs. Perhaps you could check it out if you've got the time :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/324125-diy-tops-othorn-es18-stack.html#post5467989

And yes, more Othorn = more happy population I feel :rolleyes:

May i asked what you did for overheating issues? and do you know what caused the overheating?

We believed it was caused by some kind soul, who thought it would be a good idea to pin trippy lycra fabric to the speakers, covering the port holes. Sure it looked amazing, but he was effectively blocking a Mack trucks worth of air pressure from escaping.

Unfortunately this is a true story, and happened in the brief time I was called away to deal with a critical situation at the festival. And while my stage manager was equipped to deal with the fundamentals of running a PA, the actual knowledge of the repercussions of such an act, were not in his repertoire.

Once alerted to the overheating situation, we turned them off for a few hours, and they cooled back down. A few of the drivers were definitely cooked, with weird low ohm readings and the sad sounds you never want to hear, post event. We have replaced two, with another maybe on its way out.

Everything since then though, has been stable. Live and learn I guess :eek: