TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

I believe it was jbell who said that grill is quite flimsy. He recommended the Dayton square grill. This is what I'm using, along with acoustically transparent foam behind it to stop the 'ringing' of the grill and for an extra layer of drink-spill protection.

Correct -- the square hole dayton is rigid, the round hole dayton grill is not.
I would use the square hole on a sub, round hole on a top.

My problem is that on a dual 12" top with the dayton 8R grill (pre-bent with 1" edge) was almost too flimsy for top duty, and took several attempts to get it to stop rattling.

The 8S square hole is much more rigid.

Now, if you want something TRULY rigid.........

Attachments

• Picture 042a.JPG
    Picture 042a.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Picture 043a.jpg
    Picture 043a.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 1,042
yes plasti-dip the sides for vibration reasons.
yes screw top/bottom, friction fit the sides
yes, VERY cheap/VERY sturdy grill
(btw, I cheat... I don't have/use a break... just a wood clamp, and bend one ear at a time)

No... I don't think it has to be ugly.
Flattened mesh looks reasonably good depending on size in my opinion.
Amazing what a bit of epoxy paint does.

Last edited:
Here's my latest video. I tested everything I have built so far yesterday, and I am very pleased.

The subs are incredibly loud, even at somewhere between 150 and 200 ft away, not run at their full capacity. I didn't want them to drown out the main (I only have 1 done) speaker so I turned them down a little.

I trust that you guys have personal systems that go low enough to appreciate the depth extension in the video ;)

PA Sound System DR250 TH18 Testing 2500 Watts - YouTube

Wow 11 views and already a dislike... I never understand that. If people aren't interested why can't they just move on? It's insulting...
The like/dislike function plays in to YouTubes suggested videos and search results (when you're a signed in user), don't take it to heart but it's a fairly useful feature for some...

Thanks everyone! I'll just not let it bother me

Hope you get a AAAA++++

Haha funnily enough the one person who is not supportive at my school is the one person assigning my grade: my engineering teacher (I know right?). She has done her best to make my life difficult throughout this process. I am technically her aide, although those are the periods I have to work on this project. I signed up for that only because I needed to be enrolled in a class and with the understanding that I would not be free to do much "aiding."

That was all well and good until it came time for me to actually start work, and then it was not well and good. She gives me grief every day for not helping teach her class because I am clearly just sitting around all day.

She actually marked me absent yesterday for doing this test (I set up during that time). It's not that she didn't know I was there, she just was annoyed that I was doing what I signed up to do. It's like she's trying to bridle me and reign me in from doing anything too cool and interesting.

One might think that because this is a fiercely rigorous engineering project compared to anything I ever dreamed of doing while in her class in previous years, and that it is one of the main talking points of my MIT college app, that my engineering teacher might be supportive. But apparently stapling papers and babying (often idiotic) freshmen is more important...

Oh well. Just a few more months of not letting her get in the way and I will be able to move on, wash my hands of her, and go do bigger and better things.

Other than her, it is amazing how supportive my school has been. All the admin is super excited about this project and the ASB director is stoked. And apparently they don't mind me setting up and doing high level tests. I didn't actually ask permission to do this test (no need), and between 2 hours of driving around campus and then half an hour of ~130 dB not a single person on admin did this: :nownow:

Well sorry for the rant. :rolleyes: In other news... In about 13 days I find out if I am going to MIT or not :eek: that is, of course, unless I got deferred to the later admissions cycle...

Very Very COOL!!! You did a great job on those and certainly worthy of an A+. I hope you get into MIT, you'll fit right in!!!

"Higher education is a highly charged political environment run by politically inept idiots" DJN

Here's my latest video. I tested everything I have built so far yesterday, and I am very pleased.

The subs are incredibly loud, even at somewhere between 150 and 200 ft away, not run at their full capacity. I didn't want them to drown out the main (I only have 1 done) speaker so I turned them down a little.

I trust that you guys have personal systems that go low enough to appreciate the depth extension in the video ;)

PA Sound System DR250 TH18 Testing 2500 Watts - YouTube

Last edited: