TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Nice!
Still, he's got nothing on that EAW guy.
This guy? Building an SB2001 subwoofer in 15 minutes - YouTube
Woah there. I pride myself in my inhuman carpentry skillz.
Well he is building a bass reflex from pre-cut and some pre-glued parts. Still impressive though - the SB2001 looks like another of what I call "tapped port" design, such as the Yorkville LS608 and BFM Omni 15. I wondered what the advantage of such a design was.

I wondered what the advantage of such a design was.
The large center port nearly eliminates port compression,the asymetrical port design increases heat evacuation. The angled woofers allow a smaller frontal dimension (only 21.5 x 30 inch) than a standard bass reflex cabinet, the smaller front dimension results in a higher density array (more drivers per given frontal area) with less off axis lobing.

Art

Great Stuff

got the first one buttoned up, the second one has 3 more panels to install. then we start the finishing process :dunno:

Sorry guys, uploaded wrong pic on that last one.

Sorry to potentially beat a dead horse on this one...but are these built to the same plans as the beginning of the thread (all 180 pages back)? LOL

Also, i was forwarded to this page while set out to find Danley TH118 plans. I want to build 4 of those for one of my larger rigs. After mixing on some TH115 the other day, I'm completely sold on TH subs. These look to be a bit different. Are they the same exterior dimensions as the Danley? Have you seen (heard) good results with the BC driver in your pics?

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

I don't know what happened to this thread, but it seems to have frozen...

I wonder if the corrections as suggested by some of you also would work for the TH that have the speaker at the bottom, like the THAM 12 and TH-mini.

I did try the THAM12 at first, but missed some low end, so I extended it and came up with a slightly bigger version. Also, I changed the first part of the TH to start smaller.

Would the correction for pressure work as drawn in the picture I've added (the orange bit where the speaker is fire-ing into the first segment of the horn.

Suggestions, comments, corrections?

kind regards,

Frans

I did do a first test with this version WITHOUT the correction, sounded pretty massive compared to the THAM12. Also made a version with the volume corrections (2 discs with the size and shape of the cone). No real difference testing by just listening in an A - B test.

I'm very interested in this, I have to come up with a plan before tomorrow! Do you have the hornresp input, how about version 2 & 3 how are they?
I found a .jpg on freespeakerplans named version 2, it's more compact, but it still says version 1 in the corner.

Couple more pics now that I have the skids and grill foam on. Also a pic of my dpdt switch to change input ch fro +1/-1 to +2/-2

Attachments

• 20141124_151821.jpg
    20141124_151821.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 646
  • 20141124_151828.jpg
    20141124_151828.jpg
    794.6 KB · Views: 610
  • 20141123_234221.jpg
    20141123_234221.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 570
I just did a whole lot of reading and much is still sinking in...and I will need to re-read some. I wish there was an index to this thread and the related threads, so I could revisit variations and subjects.

If you did not have the size and shape constraints, what changes would be most attractive toward eliminating which compromises and what performance gains might be possible?

My first reaction is to note how flexible this design is and how easy it is to make the path longer by just stretching the height (and width as appropriate for flare rate) without any additional complexity or wasted space behind the "reflectors" in the folds. Of course at these frequencies they aren't really reflectors anyway, they do more to minimize serious anomalies in the flare rate at each fold.

Part of my initial interest is really because I was just unpacking and found a pair of JBL 2240H I didn't even know I had. Of course that limits things. They may be a bit dated and not have the extreme excursion of some current designs, but I already have them in hand and I'm curious what I could get them to do if the cones are up to the challenge.

This certainly is a good driver. If its in very good condition, I´d considerate to sell it and to get something more modern for the money you got by selling the old ones :) These JBL are gems and are worth quite a lot of money. But with 5mm geometrical xmax, they are limited in terms of max- SPL in the lower regions (to be fair, many drivers today still don´t have much more than 5mm geometrical Xmax, the numbers in the datasheets are simply higher...)