Replacing drivers in KRK 10s subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a couple of K10s subs from KRK to match with my VXT4 monitors. The monitors are nice, but the subs are simply put crap. They're slow, don't blend with the satellites and are just rumble boxes suited for home theater at best, not for music.

Since selling them means taking a big loss and I like the matching enclosure and I assume the amp is not too bad, I consider replacing the drivers. The built in driver is a 10" 4-Ohm unit, can be had new on Ebay for $40 and looks cheap...

Would you recommend to replace the driver for a better unit (faster, more musical) or just sell them at a big loss (ie hopeless to improve)?

I'm willing to spend ~$120 per driver... The amp has 150W...

It's the box design that does what you are describing. Putting a new driver in the same box will not solve anything. I would suggest taking the driver and amp out and putting them in a well designed box.

You might want to try plugging the port. that should help with the group delay issues.

Last edited:
It's the box design that does what you are describing. Putting a new driver in the same box will not solve anything. I would suggest taking the driver and amp out and putting them in a well designed box.

You might want to try plugging the port. that should help with the group delay issues.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any particular DIY design you recommend?

KRK 10S

I purchased one of these KRK 10S Subwoofers, I was really disappointed when a couple of resistors blew and I tried contacting Gibson Support and they do not allow public access to their schematics, I called one of their dealers and they knew nothing about how to even order a board, I have only been able to find the 10" speaker online. does anyone know where you can get a schematic or electronics for these subs?

I would not recommend anyone purchasing these, the customer service sucks and basically if you have problems with one out of warranty you might as well junk it or sell it on ebay for parts.

I will never buy another Gibson product.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.