What happens when a sub is in a corner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When a vented sub is placed into a corner do the three boundries boost all the freqs the sub puts out or just a certain range?

What are the neg and pos issues with corner placement
If the sub is crossed lower than the wavelength of the baffle board at the crossover frequency then corner loading will increase level over the entire frequency range.

Positive attributes are increased level, less boundary cancellation.

Some main speakers don't work well in corners, if the subs are placed in the corner and the mains are not, some time alignment may be needed.

Thanks Welt. I don't understand what you mean by the wavelength of the baffle board. Can you put that in laymans terms?
Every frequency has a wavelength, the speed of sound (1130 feet per second) divided by the frequency.

If your sub crossed at 100 Hz, the wavelength of the upper range is 1130/100, 11.3 feet. The baffle board would most likely be less than that length, so the entire frequency range would be increased.

If the crossover frequency was increased to 500 Hz (above the typical "sub" range, but used for illustration) a baffle board 2.26 (1130/500) feet wide will act as half space.

At higher frequencies, the baffle, rather than the corner, starts to define the boundary condition.

Art Welter

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I went back over to the new house the other day and just sat in the room and there is plenty of room for placement where I could or could not place any of the subs in corners.

The other thing I was thinking was if I built new speakers and use the Lambda TD15X, I would not need subs in front as they go down well into the 30s and maybe the high 20s if the box is desiged right. If so, they would be out away from the corners just be default.

While I agree with the point of TerryO*, like waterfront real-estate, nobody can create any more radiation resistance than a corner can and that's the what I think the biggest challenge is in propagating bass notes into the thin air... so don't squander a corner.

*see my new thread about multiple woofers. The room acoustics are a killer and not clear if exciting them or multiplying them or what is best strategy. Also not entirely convincing that the theory of modal resonances based on gross dimensions in a room matters as much as theory suggests.

While I agree with the point of TerryO*, like waterfront real-estate, nobody can create any more radiation resistance than a corner can and that's the what I think the biggest challenge is in propagating bass notes into the thin air... so don't squander a corner.

*see my new thread about multiple woofers. The room acoustics are a killer and not clear if exciting them or multiplying them or what is best strategy. Also not entirely convincing that the theory of modal resonances based on gross dimensions in a room matters as much as theory suggests.

Ben,

I found your new thread and would suggest that you put in a link for others to use.

Best Regards,
TerryO

What are the walls made of? single sheet drywall is "pretty" transparent to frequencies below 80hz a few bass traps along two adjacent walls will make the room seem larger. I keep my subs 1/6 dimension into the room L/W/H from the corners.

This is the lower level of a tri level so most of the walls are stud and sheetrock with two half walls cinder block.

This will be a dedicated listening room with minimal furnature, my system, and LP storage on the back wall. So I will have a lot of room to play with placement. My system is torn apart and I can't wait to get moved in and playing again.

Four corners is actually one of Welti's preferred multisub configurations, as is four wall midpoints. Todd Welti was the first proponent of the multisub configuration and has written several papers on the subject.

I often see modes above 100Hz but they seem to be mostly caused by nearest wall self-interference and axial modes from vertical boundaries. It's definitely not a corner thing - it's more like every speaker does it unless it has multiple midwoofers.

Well, that is an interesting read Wayne. Seems like you and Earl differ on some points, but what I am getting out of all this is that multiple subs work and I will just have to take a day or two to figure out the best placement for all of them.

I am in the middle of rebuilding my system and have, so far, Heil AMTs for tweets above 7khz, Edgarhorns with JBL 2441s for mids, and 4 good subwoofers.

Whatever I end up with for midbass duty will determine a lot too. If I use the Lambda TD15X, those would actually count as subs too. If I go with a front loaded horn like the midbass horn of an Altec A7 cab, I would certainly need subs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.