Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What happens when a sub is in a corner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2011, 11:56 AM   #11
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I went back over to the new house the other day and just sat in the room and there is plenty of room for placement where I could or could not place any of the subs in corners.

The other thing I was thinking was if I built new speakers and use the Lambda TD15X, I would not need subs in front as they go down well into the 30s and maybe the high 20s if the box is desiged right. If so, they would be out away from the corners just be default.
Old 17th May 2011, 10:42 PM   #12
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

While I agree with the point of TerryO*, like waterfront real-estate, nobody can create any more radiation resistance than a corner can and that's the what I think the biggest challenge is in propagating bass notes into the thin air... so don't squander a corner.

*see my new thread about multiple woofers. The room acoustics are a killer and not clear if exciting them or multiplying them or what is best strategy. Also not entirely convincing that the theory of modal resonances based on gross dimensions in a room matters as much as theory suggests.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:42 AM   #13
revboden is offline revboden  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the walls made of? single sheet drywall is "pretty" transparent to frequencies below 80hz a few bass traps along two adjacent walls will make the room seem larger. I keep my subs 1/6 dimension into the room L/W/H from the corners.
Old 18th May 2011, 02:35 AM   #14
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
While I agree with the point of TerryO*, like waterfront real-estate, nobody can create any more radiation resistance than a corner can and that's the what I think the biggest challenge is in propagating bass notes into the thin air... so don't squander a corner.

*see my new thread about multiple woofers. The room acoustics are a killer and not clear if exciting them or multiplying them or what is best strategy. Also not entirely convincing that the theory of modal resonances based on gross dimensions in a room matters as much as theory suggests.
Ben,

I found your new thread and would suggest that you put in a link for others to use.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 18th May 2011, 06:18 AM   #15
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Link to "mix-and-match subwoofering" thread.
Old 18th May 2011, 06:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
What are the walls made of? single sheet drywall is "pretty" transparent to frequencies below 80hz a few bass traps along two adjacent walls will make the room seem larger. I keep my subs 1/6 dimension into the room L/W/H from the corners.
This is the lower level of a tri level so most of the walls are stud and sheetrock with two half walls cinder block.

This will be a dedicated listening room with minimal furnature, my system, and LP storage on the back wall. So I will have a lot of room to play with placement. My system is torn apart and I can't wait to get moved in and playing again.
Old 18th May 2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Wayne Parham is offline Wayne Parham  United States
diyAudio Member

Four corners is actually one of Welti's preferred multisub configurations, as is four wall midpoints. Todd Welti was the first proponent of the multisub configuration and has written several papers on the subject.

I often see modes above 100Hz but they seem to be mostly caused by nearest wall self-interference and axial modes from vertical boundaries. It's definitely not a corner thing - it's more like every speaker does it unless it has multiple midwoofers.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well, that is an interesting read Wayne. Seems like you and Earl differ on some points, but what I am getting out of all this is that multiple subs work and I will just have to take a day or two to figure out the best placement for all of them.

I am in the middle of rebuilding my system and have, so far, Heil AMTs for tweets above 7khz, Edgarhorns with JBL 2441s for mids, and 4 good subwoofers.

Whatever I end up with for midbass duty will determine a lot too. If I use the Lambda TD15X, those would actually count as subs too. If I go with a front loaded horn like the midbass horn of an Altec A7 cab, I would certainly need subs.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:26 PM   #19
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
I will just have to take a day or two to figure out the best placement for all of them.
it only takes 20 minutes. put your subwoofers on long wires, play some 'bass strong' music, experiment with placement, you will hear very quickly what works and what doesn't.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:38 PM   #20
revboden is offline revboden  United States
diyAudio Member

If you have a Lowes near you, I've found that they have a ~9$ sheet 4'X8' sheet acustic panel that works very well to dampen reflections. Wrapped in some fabric (i use thick black fleece) and screwed to the drywall, works wonders.

Last edited by revboden; 18th May 2011 at 11:43 PM.

What happens when a sub is in a cornerHide this!Advertise here!