Could I use a number of 6" subs in small boxes for dis. bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I've been thinking a lot about distributed bass as we are moving to a smaller house and was wondering if I could run 6" subwoofers in small boxes around the room to good effect. Maybe 4 of them?

PS, I have my main subs that I would also use so the 4 six inchers in seperate boxes would only be for smoothing.

Sure. There are a lot of options. Small sealed or ported cabinets are great, but I like horns and tapped horns for the little drivers. You can fit a lot of horn into a small space, and you can get solid performance from these drivers to below 30 Hz.

I designed the tapped version of the Insubnia for the AudioKarma collaborative project, but it really took off over at AVS. There is a member there that has a CNC cabinet shop making flat packs for people, but all the plans and a cutlist are available in this thread.

I have my two GOOD subs that I run in the front of the room, but I am thinking about the whole distributed sub thing and want the 2,3, or 4 little box subs to smooth out the dips and peak a room has with just one or two subs. If the little boxes will help smooth the room out, I'd want them to be inconspitous (sp) as possible.

Hi djn,

I've been using multiple subs for over 40 years in my multi-channel systems and never found it necessary to incorporate the same BW for all the subs,i.e:
For lateral placed subs, opposed to the main frontally placed sub(s) it's IME sufficient to relax the requirement of f-3dB to be only ~ a half to one octave above the main sub(s) .That's only when the main sub(s) reach lower than ~35 Hz... A couple of smaller subs will IMO do this job just fine.

b:)

The 25Hz tapped horn littlemike linked to is brilliant, even using the W6-1139SG it wasn't exactly designed for.
Possibly a bit large if you're not using them as main subwoofers, but they certainly deliver.

There's a lot of people getting <40Hz using ported boxes and the same driver, so that might be worth consideration, too: I'd be inclined to go along with bjorno's experience that the extras needn't go as far down as the mains, it would certainly give more driver choice, and smaller cabinets.

Chris

Thanks everyone. I was thinking about making small boxes for small subs but with 5 phone calls to audio friends, I ended up with 3 powered subs. Nothing special but will work for this application. As I said earlier, I have 2 very good subs so those will be my mains. 5 subs in the room should keep it very smooth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.