Smallest possible subwoofer enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a JBL 2268HPL 18" driver and a Bash 500W plate amp. w/crossover and am looking to build a very small subwoofer enclosure (ported or not). This will be used for live audio performance. That being said, I don't need to get a lot out of this unit in terms of db/coverage. The system is quite small. Any help on how to proceed? I am an accomplished woodworker, and have designed and built speakers before, so I'm OK with the "nuts and bolts" of how to make it once I have a design. It was with the help of Eminence Design software that I came up with my enclosure volume and port size etc. in the past. And the things that I have built so far have ben OK. But since the #1 priority of this project is the very absolute minimum in box size, should I just make a closed box that every thing fits in, and see what happens? I mean, it'll be a compromise from the get go as far as resonant frequency of the unit goes anyway right? I need enlightenment on this obviously...

If you still have the 8 cubic foot box you can experiment with it.

Seal off the port and add blocks of material to it to remove air space. Once you get to the most blocks (least air space required) that you can deal with--that is your sealed box size. Those big 18's like to breath though! Won't cost you anything to mess around with an existing box. Sealed will cost you in SPL though, maybe figure out the tuning with your program at the box size you choose.

The other option is to tune the box higher--can you live with 50Hz or 60 Hz? It seems a little crazy to tune a giant 18 inch so high but the neo driver only weighs 15 pounds so not too bad. I remember bands 20 years ago used to use Peavey 15" horns and they were tuned to 53 Hz.

As Ken mentioned, stuffing the box will tune it lower but make sure to keep it away from the cooling port in the magnet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.