Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers

what effect would building the keyhole the same height and depth as the plans,

but narrower for an 8" have,

theoretically?

Good luck with that.
Scaling a regular horn down will mostly just raise FC.
Scaling a TH down will raise FC and may ruin the response entirely.

I would suggest building the design as the plan shows, and make an "O" adapter to try the speaker (s) you have laying around in it until you can afford a "real speaker".

Otherwise you will probably end up (if you are lucky) with another 80 Fb box like your quad Karlson.

-60Ndown - dunno if linear scaling will cut it - you might do some guesstimates with Hornresp - Best, Freddy

Last edited:
what effect would building the keyhole the same height and depth as the plans,

but narrower for an 8" have,

theoretically?
What keyhole?
The cabinet is called the Keystone, which looks nothing like a keyhole or an A hole.

Cutting the width down will (kinda) work, if the driver has decent Bl (around 20 or more) and an Fs around 35, both of which are unlikely for 8 inch drivers found laying abound the house.

You will spend just as much time building it, and only saved a few bucks on wood, and won't have anything useful.

There are tons of used 15", 18", 12" that will "work" in the Keystone cabinet.

go ahead and build Art's Keystone with cutout to accommodate 18" then make whatever adapter rings are needed - its a handsome design and "Karlsonish" in style :p
I'd imagine it would whup the USC1 which is similar (a bit narrower IIRC) in bulk & form factor

this is a one-sheet K-coupler loaded with old cheap but cheerful Eminence 18 vs UCS1 - K15 would measure better as it had a front shelf
to deflect some of the first dip. The K was much cleaner and more hit but not much LF extension
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Drawing_Correction_#1

Hi Art,

I took another stab at drawing your Keystone sub from the work sketches you provided in Post #63. I added mm dimensions per djim's request.

It would be interesting to see if the same Keystone exit would work with a front loaded horn as well. What's your gut feel?

Regards,

Attachments

• Keystone_sub_dwg_corrections_1.pdf
    65.7 KB · Views: 681
Hi Art,

I took another stab at drawing your Keystone sub from the work sketches you provided in Post #63. I added mm dimensions per djim's request.

It would be interesting to see if the same Keystone exit would work with a front loaded horn as well. What's your gut feel?

Regards,
TH are quite different from FLH, I don't think the keystone exit would be useful in a FLH even in a slim form factor. In a "W" or "C" or spiral horn shape, a keystone exit shape would probably have detrimental effects, causing reflections back in to the horn, which would cause peaks and dips.

With the TH using an air column on both sides of the cone, the keystone exit has the opposite effect, smoothing out the response.

Art Welter

Hi Art,

I agree in a true FLH the Keystone exit may do more harm than good, but we are talking about terminating what amounts to be a foreshortened expanding duct that is terminated by a heavily undersized mouth. I just wish I could model the Keystone exit in AkAbak, but sofar the light has not come on.

Regards,

Hi Art,
Regards,

Oliver,

The corrections you made in the plans in Post # 85 (Drawing Correction #1) look good, nice job, thanks again.

Only difference of note is the bottom of the Keystone exit is 12.75 inch as built (323.85 mm), not 12.5 inch.

The difference of 1/4 inch there is not a concern.

The Keystone exit should be rounded over both sides.

Also, the braces are important, anyone attempting to build a similar cabinet should refer to the pictures in post #63.

Art Welter

Hi NEO Dan,

It'll take me a little bit of time to do that, and I don't quite know if I'll have the time today. Anyway, I'll attach my Hornresp Input screen for the original drawing I made. As far as the tapped horn aspect is concerned, there should not be enough difference between the two drawings to matter. Be warned though, Hornresp does not have any way (I know of) to model the Keystone exit, so all you're going to get is a general idea for a tapped horn with a similarly sized mouth located at the front at the end of the horn path.

Regards,

Attachments

• Keystone_guess_Hornresp_Input.jpg
    Keystone_guess_Hornresp_Input.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,382
Last edited: