Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers
Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2020, 05:29 PM   #1261
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, hundreds of measurements are posted throughout the thread, you can refer to post #1 for the location of many of them.
Old 14th January 2020, 04:34 PM   #1262
Tonefarm is offline Tonefarm
diyAudio Member

I've been going through to topic to find speaker placement for more than two subs... maybe i have missed.. is it possible to couple the subs like the first picture or just leave them all side by side..

Thanks

D
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 20.29.44.png (81.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 20.30.41.png (80.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 14th January 2020, 05:56 PM   #1263
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Tonefarm,

Either stack will work. Variations in the pattern in the upper response will occur, the "side by side" will have more narrow horizontal pattern than a single, the 2x2 will be slightly less narrow than the 4x1 horizontally, and more narrow vertically.

The image below would result in a more uniform pattern than either of the above, wider horizontally, and more narrow vertical. It would also be the easiest configuration to employ 4'x8' "Barn Doors" either side, increasing output by around 3 dB, like doubling amp power with no thermal compression or distortion.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: png Vertical.png (105.3 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by weltersys; 14th January 2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 14th January 2020, 06:13 PM   #1264
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

That stack would definitely be a site to see and hear!
Old 15th January 2020, 03:59 AM   #1265
mars1234 is offline mars1234  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Tonefarm,

Either stack will work. Variations in the pattern in the upper response will occur, the "side by side" will have more narrow horizontal pattern than a single, the 2x2 will be slightly less narrow than the 4x1 horizontally, and more narrow vertically.

The image below would result in a more uniform pattern than either of the above, wider horizontally, and more narrow vertical. It would also be the easiest configuration to employ 4'x8' "Barn Doors" either side, increasing output by around 3 dB, like doubling amp power with no thermal compression or distortion.

Art
Art, I've tried one on top of each other (2 x vertical) with large barn doors, when I find the photos I'll post them. Very impressive with the barn doors but quite directional, in fact too directional for a small near field event - at 50 -80 meters, well that was ideal.

I'll be experimenting soon with 2 x 2 horizontally on their sides. I'll report back.

cheers
Martin
Old 16th January 2020, 08:55 AM   #1266
diyAudio Member

[ATTACH]Keystone sweep.jpg[/ATTACH][QUOTE3 dB, like doubling amp power with no thermal compression or distortion.

Art[/QUOTE]

regarding coverage - depending on the upper Xover Freq - Splaying the cabs in as in my drawing would be beneficial if the upper Xover is > 100 Hz.

cheers
Martin

Last edited by mars1234; 16th January 2020 at 08:58 AM. Reason: uploading image
Old 16th January 2020, 09:00 AM   #1267
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars1234 View Post
[ATTACH]Attachment 809267[/ATTACH][QUOTE3 dB, like doubling amp power with no thermal compression or distortion.

Art
regarding coverage - depending on the upper Xover Freq - Splaying the cabs as in my drawing would be beneficial if the upper Xover is > 100 Hz.

cheers
Martin[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keystones yep.jpg (70.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by mars1234; 16th January 2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: odd forum behavior?
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #1268
thepersonunknown is offline thepersonunknown
diyAudio Member

Default 18PW1400FE

Hey all.

First time post, but big fan of the site. Between here and (free)speakerplans I dread to think how many hours have been spent reading and thinking.

Anyway, to the point. I was hoping that Art might be able to answer this question personaly, being the designer and all. I live in Spain and therefore have access to Beyma drivers at a very good price. I plan on building a pair of keystones in the next 2 or 3 months (my first tapered horns), just as soon as I finnish off my new midtops; im going to have a crack at the old DIY folded horn from 100 to 270hz puzzle and build some 3 way FLH tops with some phase plugged 10 inch mids Ive had knocking about for ages (Martin Audio H3 style). It seems that the best driver for the keystone (bang for buck) in my situation is the Beyma 18PW1400FE.

ALTAVOZ 18"PW1400Fe 8 OH

They work out a good bit cheaper than even the 18TBW100 here in Madrid. To my eyes, they look like they should work well, seeming to sit somewhere between the BnC 150 and 100 in terms of TS parameters. However, I would like to take advantage of the luxuary of asking the designer directly before diving in.

So what do you think Art. Is there anything that sticks out there that makes you think these drivers would not be appropriate?

BTW, ive been following your design here for over a year now and itching to build some. Finally got an excuse to do it. Fantastic work, I have no doubt they will impress, mostly because of the evident atention to detail . Thanks for your work.

Cheers,
Dave.

Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!