Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers
Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2019, 07:31 PM   #1231
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneo View Post
But I have included some possible changes in magenta by shifting panel H 4mm closer to the driver to match Art's original S1.
Does this make sense? Am I worried about nothing? Will it make any real change to the actual sound?
regards Dane
Changes of a mm won't affect output, though I don't understand why you would change the panel H length- Hornresp inputs were approximations of "as built", done after the cabinet was finished.
Old 20th July 2019, 11:37 PM   #1232
daneo is offline daneo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Changes of a mm won't affect output, though I don't understand why you would change the panel H length- Hornresp inputs were approximations of "as built", done after the cabinet was finished.
I haven't changed the length of H. It the same 31' or 787mm. I'm actually trying to build as close to your as-built measurements as possible. But I cant do it exactly as my material is not 3/4 (19mm), but actually 18mm.
So my internal volume is slightly larger (2mm) and then if i add the internal panels, I get a 4mm difference.
But as you mentioned it's probably going to make very little difference to the output. Think I might be just splitting hairs.
Old 21st July 2019, 03:45 PM   #1233
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So my internal volume is slightly larger (2mm) and then if i add the internal panels, I get a 4mm difference.
You could try putting in handles to make up for the difference in volume ;^)
Old 29th July 2019, 01:29 AM   #1234
wreckingball is offline wreckingball  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Art,
It's been many moons since I last checked in...
I see the "B-low" didn't exactly test as simulated, but still looks Fantastic for my needs! Yes! ..

I looked through the OP, and through many pages of this thread, but didn't see any plans for B-low construction. Is this something I need to purchase? (if so, I'd have no reservations doing so...)

Or if, as usual, I've just glossed over something?

Thanks in advance, this design is truly something special...

In short, can anyone link to the plans for the B-Low Keystone?

Cheers,
-Steve..
Old 29th July 2019, 05:12 PM   #1235
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
I looked through the OP, and through many pages of this thread, but didn't see any plans for B-low construction. Is this something I need to purchase? (if so, I'd have no reservations doing so...)

Or if, as usual, I've just glossed over something?

In short, can anyone link to the plans for the B-Low Keystone?
Steve,

As stated in the OP, reports using a B&C18TBW100-4 driver are in post #1135. Photos and the response curves with the B&C18TBW100-4 and the 15 Dayton PA385S-8 and a "step down" cover plate are in post #1167.

As the "B-low" did not appear to do better than the previous design regarding low frequency output, I have not included plans for it, as other designs such as Josh Ricci's "Othhorn" appear to be better if response below 35 Hz is of high priority.

Art
Old 29th July 2019, 10:58 PM   #1236
wreckingball is offline wreckingball  United States
diyAudio Member

I see, thanks for the clarification Art, much appreciated...
Old 10th September 2019, 02:01 PM   #1237
daneo is offline daneo
diyAudio Member

My 2x Keystones with BC18TBW100-4's build has finally completed. Woohoo
Yet to do a full noise test, but at an excessive volume inside a residential house I'm very pleased. Thank you Art, and others who have helped out in this thread.
No I didn't end up putting handles on, but heck they are heavy Haha (I was warned)
My previous "big" diy sub is on the right in pic

I do however have a question regarding setting "limiters" for these drivers (I know you have posted some recommendations in post#1) But I dont have a fancy amp with dsp, I only have a XR18 dig mixer, DBX Driverack 260 and two old school Samson SX2400 Amplifier rated at 1500w bridged. I'm thinking these drivers will take everything these amps could give it anyway. So apart from a 30hz HPF, is it worth looking into the DBX's peak limiters?
regards Dane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9272.jpg (1,021.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9042.jpg (705.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9231.jpg (807.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9245.jpg (825.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9284.jpg (1,015.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 10th September 2019, 02:50 PM   #1238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do however have a question regarding setting "limiters" for these drivers (I know you have posted some recommendations in post#1) But I dont have a fancy amp with dsp, I only have a XR18 dig mixer, DBX Driverack 260 and two old school Samson SX2400 Amplifier rated at 1500w bridged. I'm thinking these drivers will take everything these amps could give it anyway. So apart from a 30hz HPF, is it worth looking into the DBX's peak limiters?
regards Dane
Dane,

The drivers coils can be burnt with 1500 watts of sustained power, so a "peak" limiter won't provide protection from that.
Although the DBX Driverack 260 peak limiters won't protect the drivers from too much average levels, it may sound better than the amp sounds when clipping, so worth comparing. The limiter lights may be more visible to you than the amp, so can also give you a better idea of when they run out of headroom.

Have fun!
Art
Old 10th September 2019, 07:06 PM   #1239
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice build Dane!
Old 10th September 2019, 10:52 PM   #1240
daneo is offline daneo
diyAudio Member

Thanks BP1Fanatic. It took longer than expected but I did dry/pre-screw assemble it all before re-assembling it with glue. And when your only cutting with a circular saw, tape and level, it takes longer.
Actually I made one epic fail by cutting the Key out the first go totally wrong angle. Had to buy another whole sheet to replace that 1 panel But I did find the culprit for the mistake (see pic)

Art, I'm not sure how close to 1500w RMS my amps will really output. I think probably closer to 1000w, but that is still too much if sustained. I will mostly be playing Rock/Metal, so a little less demanding then EDM.
Is it possible to set approx limits by ear? I mean listen until it starts to sound a bit distorted, then back it off a little?
The DR260 does have a RMS limiter and a Peak Stop limiter, but from what I have read it aint that good. Without proper RMS limiters I'm kinda guessing anyway I suppose.
Dane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E8980.JPG (210.7 KB, 59 views)

Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!