Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers

Hey Art,
I've finally got around to making some sawdust on this build, I have a quick question about the baffle cutout. The plans posted by tb46 indicate an opening with a 16" diameter, the diameter of the gasket on my 18TBW100 is closer to 16.75" and I worry about the surround slapping at high input levels. I reckon that a opening of 16.5" would allow the driver to move without hitting the baffle, but will still allow the gasket to seal, do you happen to recall what your experience was?

-Thanks

Fired up my 18TBW100 loaded Keystone, mo measurements but referenced against a SRX728 I was quite impressed. Now for the fun part: truing/rounding corners, sanding, painting. Fun.

I know it came up but not sure if anyone answered, lots of clearance between the magnet and baffle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404360666.169615.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keystone bracing

Art,

Can you clarify the bracing you installed near the Keystone exit panel. I’m unsure of what the layout is with the angled brace/s from your original build sketches.

Our build photo shows the other side compared to PASC’s photo.

Build is well underway :> cheers

Attachments

• Build 1.jpg
    Build 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 926
  • Keystone panel Brace x 2.jpg
    Keystone panel Brace x 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 949
  • Keystone Top bracing.jpg
    Keystone Top bracing.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 894
  • This view.jpg
    This view.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 889
Art,
Can you clarify the bracing you installed near the Keystone exit panel. I’m unsure of what the layout is with the angled brace/s from your original build sketches.
Mars,

It appears PASC doubled up on braces #3 and #5. The original plan has a single brace # 5 (which you outlined in red) attached to the vertical brace #4 and the top front piece.

Only the braces that say "X 2" (times 2) were doubled in the original plan.

In the photo below you can see brace #4 centered between the 2 x 12" speakers, brace #5 offset to the right connecting to the front panel just above the Keystone exit.

Art

Attachments

• Keystone Braces.jpg
    Keystone Braces.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 906
  • Keystone Side.jpg
    Keystone Side.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
My First Keystone Build

Getting closer to test of my first build. This is what I have so far. All my internal dimensions are within 1/8" to 3/16". The braces sure took me longer to fiddel in than I would have guessed....:rolleyes:

I am going to try it out with a Peavey Low Rider 18 that I have on hand and see how it does.

Attachments

• keystone 014.jpg
    keystone 014.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 708
  • keystone 015.jpg
    keystone 015.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 683
  • keystone 016.jpg
    keystone 016.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 643
Getting closer to test of my first build. This is what I have so far. All my internal dimensions are within 1/8" to 3/16". The braces sure took me longer to fiddel in than I would have guessed....:rolleyes:

I am going to try it out with a Peavey Low Rider 18 that I have on hand and see how it does.

Hmm.. where's the mouth for the subwoofer in those pictures?

I wish I could get away with so little bracing for the plywood that's available here for subwoofer building. I basically bifurcated my last subwoofer all the way down to the last fold with a cross-brace, and still the top vibrates a bit more than I'd like. Doubling up on the thickness of the top panel didn't help much either.

Hmm.. where's the mouth for the subwoofer in those pictures?

I wish I could get away with so little bracing for the plywood that's available here for subwoofer building. I basically bifurcated my last subwoofer all the way down to the last fold with a cross-brace, and still the top vibrates a bit more than I'd like. Doubling up on the thickness of the top panel didn't help much either.

Had not yet cut out the "keystone" mouth. It goes top left.

I did finish one cab yesterday and a quick listen brought smiles to my face.

Kudos to weltersys for a great sounding design! I will attempt some measurements later this week and share what I observe.