Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers
Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2016, 05:03 AM   #1021
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ USRFobiwan

Yeah, good suggestions, in theory, but try getting many DJ's to sign an a contract like that, especially big name ones. I bet they wouldn't, so no $

Quote:
you really want to help the DJ / act to let the crowd enjoy the best possible sound experience.
I always have, & do TRY But if they won't take any notice .... = Ego =
Old 29th September 2016, 08:54 AM   #1022
radulescu is offline radulescu  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettairyouiki View Post
Yeah, but that's somewhat missing the point. YOU are functioning as the limiter now. And while obviously having some knowledgeable person overseeing the equipment at all times and doing the job of a limiter manually is preferable, it's not practical.

Some people are interested in idiot-proofing the subs so they are protected from any kind of possible input signal, from 40hz sinewaves to pink noise to massively clipped program material. And while it's easy to set a peak limiter so low that the amp simply can't pass enough power to cook the driver, you've just eliminated tons of headroom.

Hence why having 2 (or more) different limiters is appealing for people who have equipment being used in potentially abusive environments without wanted to constantly supervise it.
Yes, now you are the limitter, but if you know you have a stupid ads DJ, you better stay next to him and smack the snot out of him if he is constantly keeping the overload led turned on. Because it is your equipment, your reputation and you are right and they are not, so they better learn.
Old 5th October 2016, 04:28 AM   #1023
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

Semi related. Had the opportunity to run my Keystone Lite (LAB15-4) for a homecoming dance that a friend's son DJ'd. We experimented with a few setups and ultimately went with a horizontal mounting center stage. For giggles we put it against the back wall of the stage room on a 30deg angle or so like a horn expansion and we were blown away but it didn't carry into the dance area/main gym as well. For a minute, we had some very physical bass that I had not experienced in some time. It was very interesting how directional the bass was with various setups. At this point, however, I am somewhat convinced to blast into the main dance area regardless of the benefits of boundary gains etc. In addition, horizontal seems my favorite too.

Kinda shocked to read of the battles between soundguys and DJs. I get it, but when I played/DJ's if you broke it you bought it and that kept it pretty real. I spent time dialing in the gain so that he couldn't do too much damage but felt a bit better engaging the amps soft limiter. Better than nothing I thought.
Old 5th October 2016, 04:58 AM   #1024
Osse is offline Osse  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwiller View Post
Semi related. Had the opportunity to run my Keystone Lite (LAB15-4) for a homecoming dance that a friend's son DJ'd. We experimented with a few setups and ultimately went with a horizontal mounting center stage. For giggles we put it against the back wall of the stage room on a 30deg angle or so like a horn expansion and we were blown away but it didn't carry into the dance area/main gym as well. For a minute, we had some very physical bass that I had not experienced in some time. It was very interesting how directional the bass was with various setups. At this point, however, I am somewhat convinced to blast into the main dance area regardless of the benefits of boundary gains etc. In addition, horizontal seems my favorite too.

Kinda shocked to read of the battles between soundguys and DJs. I get it, but when I played/DJ's if you broke it you bought it and that kept it pretty real. I spent time dialing in the gain so that he couldn't do too much damage but felt a bit better engaging the amps soft limiter. Better than nothing I thought.

Agreed. I have never met a Dj which showed signs of being that irresponsible for me to worry about my gear, and if something breaks I would blame myself in most cases for not properly setting up the system. It requires rather drastic measures to actually harm a balanced gain stage with proper filters/limiter, even with only long term voltage limiter engaged.

Hope your stone is very rewarding for your gigs!
Old 8th October 2016, 03:54 AM   #1025
wreckingball is offline wreckingball  United States
diyAudio Member

Has the 'B-low' version of keystone been posted?
..if not, anxiously awaiting...

Thanks Art, this is a great thread..
Old 8th October 2016, 10:23 PM   #1026
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
Has the 'B-low' version of keystone been posted?
..if not, anxiously awaiting...

Thanks Art, this is a great thread..
Wreckingball,

No, been rather busy cleaning up after Matthew's visit, have not got to them yet, still have a few more projects in the que before the "B-Low" will "B-Dun" .

Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Branch Dividium.jpg (152.9 KB, 498 views)
File Type: png Lines Down.png (795.9 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg Limb Pile.jpg (136.0 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg All is Well.jpg (145.0 KB, 421 views)
Old 9th October 2016, 04:20 PM   #1027
wreckingball is offline wreckingball  United States
diyAudio Member

Yikes, what a mess. Hope no-one was harmed.

I was going to delete my post, but woke up on the couch 6 hrs later to a no-can-do situation. It was just laziness, so now I've subscribed.

Taller with (slightly lower) output down to the high 20's sounds like something I'd be very interested in, completely understand these things take quite some time, I'll just keep an eye on the thread. Thanks.
Old 10th October 2016, 02:10 AM   #1028
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
Yikes, what a mess. Hope no-one was harmed.

I was going to delete my post, but woke up on the couch 6 hrs later to a no-can-do situation. It was just laziness, so now I've subscribed.

Taller with (slightly lower) output down to the high 20's sounds like something I'd be very interested in, completely understand these things take quite some time, I'll just keep an eye on the thread. Thanks.
As far as I've heard, only one lady was killed when a branch fell on her while she was feeding her animals, died on the way to the hospital. Considering the amount of huge water oak trees dropping like flies all around here, I am just amazed there were so few casualties.

I was lucky that my rental house has an attic, a branch dropped about 50' and pierced the roof just a few feet from my desk, it was LOUD, and then the power went out. I shut down the computer and my two battery back up power supplies, and ike a dumb-***, went outside to see what happened. There was almost no wind, but my neighbor had another huge branch drop on the power lines at the same time, which resulting in the power outage.

Art
Old 10th October 2016, 04:23 AM   #1029
CRESCENDO is offline CRESCENDO  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear you're OK, Art!
Old 13th October 2016, 09:58 AM   #1030
Andy1967 is offline Andy1967  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear you're ok too Art. Looking forward to follow your work.

Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!